dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: post a drawing!

2KHeroes / Sylvaniah designer luxregina's Avatar
    I think you should explore "bitmap" colors, instead of "vector" colors ...when I say bitmap, I mean something that isn't linear - something that allow for some grit, dirt, splashes - in short, something that will bring your vectors to life, instead of a "linear" coloring ... not sure if I express my thoughts very well, so I mocked up a very quick example :

Of course, it all boils down to the style you wanna give to your image, my point, is : don't limit yourself to a "vectorial" coloring, eventhough your outlines are vectors ...actually, the clash of two technologies can create something quite interesting

Flash Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by luxregina

Yes. I took notice of the date of that post but may I say, stunning work my friend and boy would I want to hire you for my future games! Maybe you could private message me if you're interested..?

And also to that last post... this is very well done using trogdor458's picture and giving him your piece of his work. BRILLIANT
    If you can solve the following riddle, you will win a doughnut.

Yesterday was Tuesday and a week from now will be Thursday. Is this statment real?

idk, the combination, or at least in this case, looks kind of funny to me. combining complex images with simplistic ones dont seem very attractive

due to my increasingly long breaks i am working at an alarmingly slow pace, but i have still updated the picture slightly (as opposed to your alarmingly quick, high-rez picture)
    http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...458/tanky3.jpg

well (with the cost of it becoming somewhat cheezy), i hurried up the darn thing so i could present to you...a roughdraft:

"combining complex images with simplistic ones dont seem very attractive"

I think Lux just did a part of the image as an example, rather than suggesting you have a mixture of vector and bitmap ( Which does look nasty ).

Personally I really don't like vector images, they always look "Flash 5" and dated. Unless the quality is stunning they look cheap.

Squize.

2KHeroes / Sylvaniah designer luxregina's Avatar
    yeah, Squize is right - in the case I was exposing previously, the whole vectors lines would desapear behind your coloring, I just rendered a section of it.

But it all boils down to what you prefer for yourself, I was just trying to "open" your perspectives about coloring vectorial stuff

petra036> thanks I am quite busy ATM, but who knows, for the future...

Student
    I think too that most flash vector art looks outdated, but there are people who really know how to use it well,- just appeared here in the game section:
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=726979
    very nice vector graphics and good use of gradients

@ trogdor458: if you stick with the vectors how about some different colors as just the grey? e.g.:

so that the image gets a unique lightning or different materials.

ah well, ill learn
    jesus render, i dont want to even consider how quickly you just did that...
    i must agree though, textures and proper shading brind the picture alive
    an application like flash is not necassarily so good at textures

before i leave my house, ill go ahead and post my progress on recoloring the thing
    i redid the wheels just a little by scribbling in them, put down a few shadows, and totally extended the reach of the light. the change in background color distracts you from all the grey. that, and the light:
    http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...r458/tank5.jpg

other than that it look pretty much the same
    Last edited by trogdor458; 04-07-2007 at 12:09 PM.

Here is my lux/renderhjs wannabe concept art for my game called RollerBall:

Step1 - Paper-Pencil sketch

Step2 - Digitally remaster sketch

Step3 - Color - I think I over did it, what do you think?

strange, i like it better as a drawing

EDIT: hmm, i just realized i accidently covered up the reflection in my last post, must... repost

and i think thats honestly as far as im going to get...
    Last edited by trogdor458; 04-07-2007 at 03:18 PM.

Yeah, that is odd. I guess I'm just bad at coloring

nah, dont think like that
    instead, think, "well i must be better at drawing!"

its probably because some textures and whatnot clash. since black and white drawings are pretty much drawn in the same style, they dont clash quite so easily

Student
    so I started since a long time again playing with openCanvas- and I must say I love the tool even more as in the past

they even introduced lately a new GUI that gives it more a PS look & feel,- check out the trial (wacom tablet strongly recomended):
    http://www.portalgraphics.net/en/
    check out the japanese event files that you can play as a movie in the free & trial version:
    http://www.portalgraphics.net/oc/ja/...d_option=after

Iron Chef In-Training OpethRockr55's Avatar
    *sigh*

Seeing all this art reminds me of my lack of ability to draw a straight line. Thank the gods for line tools.

i cant draw straight lines neither. i remember drawing up a storyboard for this enrichment class at my highschool (called "storyboarding"), and eventually i got tired of drawing rectangles so instead i wound up drawing triangles for the characters to be put in :)

nice picture renderhj (openCanvas eh?, i dont own a tablet, but you seem to use it often)
    and how was everyone's Easter today?

although art is a learnable teachable skill, the dedication and strickness for detail is not.

if you have the heart for art, your brain will soon learn everything.

I have been drawing for a evry long time, people always tell me I have a "god given talent" or "your so lucky to have been given such a great talent"

These comments, I actually take offence to, let me explain........

I was not born able to draw, I did not pick up a pencil and start drawing realistic things, but what I was born with was the inspiration to want to draw, therefore around 6 I started tracing my xmen comics, and remaking my own with my tracings, after a year or so of doing this so readily, nearly daily, I got to the point were I did not need to trace so much of the spiderman or wolverine, I knew how they were draw, I learned it, and therefore had the knowledge of how to create lines and shapes and basic shading techniques.

As years went on I stopped tracing and started re-drawing things that were already drawn, this taught me even more about new ways to create lines and shapes and more shading techniques than I had known before.

Around age 9 I started doing alot of portraits, now these were not highly good, but it taught me how things need to be drawn different than they apear to create a realistice look, then came cars and I learned alot about depth, and how many straight lines can look curved depending on your angles.

around 15 I was airbrushing, trying to learn to paint, and doing some tattoos for friends, at this point I was still not into computer art. But after finally getting a job in a tatto parlor at 18, and also doing tons and tons of black and white line drawings, I pretty much knew how to shade 100+ ways and how to create all kinds of effects.

So to my point now at age 27, is that when I sit down to draw, I call upon my brain computer which has stored all this information about drawing. This information is just regergitated through everything I draw in one way or the another, its NOT some touch of god granting me with this amazing talent, its years and years of learning how to create nearly every effect with pencels pens and paint that allows me sit donw and draw you, or your boat or your house, or your cat, with numerous mediums.

So back to my point.... anyone can learn to draw, it is teachable and learnable, but having the dedication to exploit every aspect of art is a lifetime commitment, not something you can just pickup in a few months.

My new frontier is computer art, which discourages me at times because alot of my knowledge is waisted due to program UI restrictions and all these new techniques. But I beleive after mastering these tools as well, I will be creating insanely good computer art as well.

I hope this story kinda helped
    Last edited by everfornever; 04-08-2007 at 11:10 PM.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by everfornever
    god given talent...such a great talent...granting me with this amazing talent...will be creating insanely good computer art as well
    prove it
    as long as it is game related post it here

Ever, you're about 60% talent 40% ego. You're a good artist sure enough but you're not Frank Frazzeta. General life tip, bragging will only make you enemies, talent speaks for itself.

Hey render, where'd you get the picture of my wife from?

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKris
    Hey render, where'd you get the picture of my wife from?
    prove it
    u have such hot wife? O_O, maybe I should visit japan as well
    Last edited by renderhjs; 04-09-2007 at 12:40 AM.