dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: post a drawing!

I wasnt bragging, I was just explaining my life history in the arts, why anytime I share anything about myself people take it as bragging....

I have spent my life drawing, ever since I can remmember I have drawn, and I have used nearly every medium out there. for years I did portraits for a living, tattoos, and architecture, why when I say this it's taken as bragging or egotistical? Im just telling you what I did and how I learned to draw.

If you had came into my shop many years ago and saw all of my projects and work would you say I am bragging?

When my firends want a tatto and I show them some guys with tats I did on them they dont take it as bragging, its related to the topic....... your topic is about art and I was explaining my art, how this any different?

If I start posting all of my art in this thread will I be bragging? If I post my paintings and tattoos and drawings will I be egotistical? Is telling you I do these things considered bragging?

This forum is not a penis showing contest, I unfortunelty are not the best game artist in the world, but when it comes to drawing I have been doing it over 20 years steadily, saying this is not bragging its simply stating a fact.

I'll start scanning some of my smaller art, unfortunetly alot of the stuff I still have is huge, on someones body, or long gone, but I still have some more stuff laying around.

Its just that its not really a useful post, its basically a post talking about yourself and to me doesn't make much sense at all. It didn't seem like a reply to any post before it, just seemed you want people to know about your talent and your history of art, which to me and to some other people, it seems, is like bragging.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Ok, so I looked around for some of my "drawings", not to try and brag but just to try and show what I was talking about.

Now these being scanned so small dont show much of the detail, but I felt that maybie trogdor was right, and its not good just to say "I draw" it's better to stick with the topic and just post art.

So here are some sketches I have readily available in my desk drawer, that I thought were game related.

#1 These are some sketches I did for a comic book which I may actually use now for an rpg game, I have a whole slew of monsters and demons I did for my comic, but again these may come in handy for an rpg.

Story line:

Fiona Rogers had a sister and mother, but no father, one day while wanting to roast marshmellows she asked her sister to help, but her older sister was in her room being a typical 16 year old and mom was starting dinner, so she decided to start the fireplace herself resulting in the house catching fire and the family dying in short. Fiona wound up in hell and made a deal with the devil that if she went back to earth and did his dirty work that her family would be placed back, as though nothing happened, except that the fire killed fiona and not the family. After 10 years on earth Fiona met a lover, a fire fighter, he was often putting out the very fires she was starting, after a few years in love she started to rebel against satan and stopped doing his dirty work, so satan began sending his minions to earth to find and kill her, thus begins the story of Fiona at war with the devil and his minions, this is the premise for the comic/game.

Thats the short version.

#2 This is one car prototype for the comic, all cars were going to be original art, this idea I got from an old chevy truck, with a mercury big body car thrown into one.

#3 This just a tattoo I did about among ago, I still have the drawing sitting on my desk, I'll get a photo of the actuall tat if anyone is into that kind of thing. The guys is a real big ICP fan and wanted a tat of an original clown with an ICP theme.

#4 I did this drawing right after 9/11. I was sitting in our local coffee house in st. louis "the coffee cartel" and a friend of mine was wanting me to draw him something, alot of people ask me to do that when I am down there, I have spent many years down there in the early 2000's doing murials in resteraunts, and worked in the tattoo parlor there when I first came back to st. louis, I used to sit down there everyday and draw, this is alot of the reason I dont have much of it around, I give it to them, but this one I kept and gave him a copy of.

(some of you may seen it in my art book)

Malee

I dont know maybie I take things said wrong, I was talking as I would if we were sitting together talking about this, I was just explaining my history in art, as I would if we were having a real life discussion, just trying to explain that it takes time,a dn the steps I took to learn.

I need to work on how I word things I guess, and maybie I talk to much.....
    Last edited by everfornever; 04-09-2007 at 02:02 AM.

*sigh

i don't understand this thread, can someone point out the relationship between flash and games here please?
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Now tell me whos watchin...... samvillian's Avatar
    jeez.. i wish i had talent like that. I can't even draw a circle! squares arent any fun neither. i will stick to my photoshop and flash skills.... crazy combo though.

Render,
    I can promise you if you come to Japan I can introduce you to chicks as hot as that. Not that hard in a country full of gorgeous babes.

Ever,
    What is bragging other than a veiled attempt to draw attention to oneself?

What is bragging other than a veiled attempt to draw attention to oneself?
    Is that what you think I was doing,,,,,,,, seems nearly every post I make someone says something like this to me.....I try so hard to just help and talk about relative things that I experienced in my life and I try to share myself with everyone, yet it always seems people think Im bragging, being egotistical, or trying to get attention...

Please dont take my posts this way...... I dont get what I say that makes people think this all the time.

Well alright then.

Flash Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Xploder

Dates are a thing with me, I ignore them..... but 80,000 claps for you! This is stunning how you have used color and shading and just bought 1 or 2 things out! BRAVO!!!!
    If you can solve the following riddle, you will win a doughnut.

Yesterday was Tuesday and a week from now will be Thursday. Is this statment real?

Yesterday was Tuesday and a week from now will be Thursday. Is this statment real?
    The statement is real yes, because you really made the statement.

to get back to the toppic ....

first the sketch:

and the final rendered image (nope, it's not done with Bryce):

a more detailed description can be found here

nGFX

How did you made the clouds?
    What program are you using?

2KHeroes / Sylvaniah designer luxregina's Avatar
    Very nice ! ... I found the step-by-step very interesting as well !

Now, we need an "exclusive" : what game is that for, and in what genre ?

"This forum is not a penis showing contest"

It's not ? But I thought with it being called FlashKit... Bugger, it all makes sense now and explains the general lack of penis showing here in the past 6 years.
    I've made a dreadful mistake.

Nice work olli, the images look beautiful ( I'd recommend everyone to visit the blog to get the low down and see more of these stunning images ).

Squize.

yes that is very nicely done, very impressive.

Really want to post some stuff here, but a lot of my cooler effects are coded, so I can't really show any sketches or anything. Made some really pretty units for Commando 3, but there's not much to say about them besides 'traced over military blueprints'.

Should I post something I did as part of my Art GCSE course? Nothing to do with games at all (hence me asking if I can post it), but I'm very happy with how this particular drawing came out.

I don't think this thread should be restricted to 'games' artwork just because it's in the games forum. Rather, I think it's a good topic for us to see the abilities of the community here, as opposed to the people who post in the Art forums.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

Very nice nGFX. Really liked the tut you gave with it. Haven't had the time to play around with bryce yet, but from your pic it looks promising.

Just like veng said, I got some 3D stuff I'd like to show but sadly no artwork and it wasn't used for any games.
    Last edited by walsher; 04-10-2007 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by walsher
    Haven't had the time to play around with bryce yet, but from your pic it looks promising.
    Actually, he specifically said that he didn't use Bryce to make that.

For an idea of what Bryce can do, apparently all the landscapes and stuff in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies were made in it. 'Course, I've seen people do ghastly things in Bryce, so I guess it does take skill to use effectively.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Cimmerian
    How did you made the clouds?
    What program are you using?
    All was done in 3ds max 7 (and a licensed version it is, too), the clouds (or the sky in general) was done using a bloody expensive plugin called "dreamscape".

Quote Originally Posted by luxregina
    Now, we need an "exclusive" : what game is that for, and in what genre ?
    Well, be patient and have a regular visit on the blog , the genre will be a puzzle game (but what exactly will be revieled later).
    The reason I put so much work into a few screen for a puzzle game, is that wanted something visually rich (not unlike your Two kindoms/Sylvaniah, but not "handmade")

Quote Originally Posted by walsher
    Haven't had the time to play around with bryce yet
    nope, no Bryce has been used. I bought a copy a while back (v 5.5) to do landscapes, but I must admit I simply cannot work with that software. I really tried hard and I admire the people who are able to get something nice out of it (Though, the majority of Bryce user don't know how to use it.to ). The user interface is so unbelieveable unuseable for me (maybe because I've been doing 3d for over 15 years now and I'm so used to 3ds max (since v1) that it's hard to get into something like Bryce (and Poser is the same).

nGFX

I see, miss read your commet.

Quote Originally Posted by nGFX
    I've been doing 3d for over 15 years now and I'm so used to 3ds max (since v1) that it's hard to get into something like Bryce (and Poser is the same).

nGFX
    Ya, been using Max myself for 3-4 years now. Tried using Maya once and was so confused on how things worked.