A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Can someone tell me why this image looks so bad????

Can someone tell me why this image looks so bad????

I have made a Flash site with digital images that looks fine outside of Flash, but once they are in Flash they look terrible. The one I am especially concerned with is the one on the landing page.(the waterfront). the URL is: www.bentlyquastphotographs.com
    Is there a special way to optimize photos in Flash?
    Thanks, DD

usually its best to save as PNG's, they generally become a lot smaller and maintain more detail.
    How are you exporting?

I once had a hole bunch of pics that looked like ****e when I imported into flash.
    when I saw what had happened i freaked.
    Went back to photoshop, back to flash back to photoshop ect.
    Dont know why, but all i had to do was edit them in the library, and they looked better?

Go to File > Publish Settings... click on the Flash tab and adjust the bar for JPEG quality to around 75 and click "OK" Now publish and see your results. Play with the quality variable until you achieve your desired compression/quality ratio.

Thanks

Great ideas, but how will they affect load time, especially if I convert to PNG??

Jpegs tend to be a bit bigger.
    PNG allows you the option of selecting the number of colours per image. Unless you want to play with them and try all the quality settings.

another tip is dont compress the image in photoshop eg saving at a jpeg setting of 5 and then import the poor image as flash will also compress the image making it look really poor. keep the image clean, save as png and export that from flash.

If it was a normal site (not heavily image based) I would say go for fast loading and keep the images small, had a look round the site, the photos are quality, i would wait 20 seconds to see each one, as I think most people would.

I would also look at some copyright on the images, just a suggestion...

bp