A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: expanding flash's maximum stage area??

I'm getting really fed up with movie clips and symbols going off the "outer limits" of the main stage in flash... I mean when you have masked menus, etc., things that are very long, you need them aligned on one side, or whatever, and they get cut off!! Does anyone know of a way to increase the size of the outer areas of the stage but WITHOUT making the size of the actual movie bigger? It's driving me completely nuts.
    Any help or thoughts would be a great help.
    thanks
    Andrew

I am not quite sure what you mean. In Flash 4 you already have as much space as the movie takes up additionally on each side of the movie. Is that not enough for aligning other objects?

I'm not sure what your problem is but can't you reduce the magnification of the stage to 25 or 12%?

He talking about the area that is not included in the viewable area. Let me explain:
    When creating a movie in Flash 4, you have the white part which is the part that is seen when you publish it, then you have a big grey part around the outside of the white part, this grey space is where you put MC and other stuff that tweens in. This space is often not big enough to put some of the larger MC's and stuff.
    I think this is what he wants to resize, if this is not what he is taking about, I would like to know how to resize the grey part. Thanks.

Thanks for your replies, and yes jojousa is correct in his interpretation. Sorry I didn't realize my question was so vague- the grey areas surrounding the actual "work area" is what I'm talking about (and I'm using Flash 4 BTW).

Well let's say for example you have a barney's type menu, or a collection of images that scrolls underneath a masked area, like johnmarksorum-type clips.. and these naturally tend to become relatively long in width or height, especially when you are dealing with alot of menu pages- this type of mc can easily become much longer than the maximum size of the gray area. And you need to align it properly so you have one side inside the work area, with the rest going off the one side. More often than not I've had to manually go and increase the movie size just to be able to see the movie clip I want to work on, and then change it back when I'm done.

Now of course this is a very counterproductive way to work. Still, I don't think there is any other way around it. I was hoping that somebody had some other way..
    Does anyone know of any techniques to work around this?
    Again, thanks for reading

before this post gets lost to the sands of time I just wanted to check a second time to see if anybody might know what I'm talking about. TOP TOP TOP! (waves magic wand)

Smile

hmmm, two ideas

if feasible split whatever it is into two and animate them one after other (not feasible for yugop style menu and that)

what about placing in a movie clip, that gives u more romm to mess with.