A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: need to avoid running menu animation every time the page changes

need to avoid running menu animation every time the page changes

Hello,

I'm wondering if there's a way that I don't have to run a menu's animation every time a different page is called with the same menu. I will have a series of pages sharing a menu via SSI. Can I do this with any kind of server side cookie or something?

I'm also planning to have a hidden frame with a sound loop. Maybe I can hide a variable or something in that frame.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

not so reliable, but you can set a cookie with javascript and check it in the page and pass it to the flash as a flashvar or with ExternalInterface to tell the movie the menu has already loaded once. Be sure to make the cookie expire when the session ends.

You probably thought of this, but ill mention it anyway...

you could always just load a section in on click, and unload it when you want a new section, so the menu animation never has to be reloaded.
    Nick

Jininkan,

I don't follow, can you please explain more.

Thanks

Its basically just the way to load and unload movies. It sounds to me like your menu wont change, but it has a nice animation to maybe open it up? And you dont want that to have to replay as they navigate your site, correct?

If thats the case, i was just suggesting having your nav on the timeline, the animation plays forit, opening it or whatever, and have the buttons load each sections movie into a blank movie clip on the stage. It can have a nice preloader for each section, as well as a transition movie, but each time you click a button in the nav on the main timeline, it plays the transition movie, then unloads the section from the blank clip, and loads in whatever section was clicked.

Thus the nav animation never has to play more than once. Just a suggestion.
    Nick