A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 3d Door animation HELP!!!!

3d Door animation HELP!!!!

Hello, Everybody.
    I'm in need of a 3d door animation. All I need is just one door opening as if you wer pulling it open. Does anyone know how to accomplish this effect in Swift 3d with either a wooden texture or metal texture. I have Swift3d but I don't really have time to try and figure this out. If anyone can help by providing a tutorial or even a .fla file will do.

Thanks

I was about to respond before you sent a PM. I have a quickly built file - the texture needs a bit of work, but the animation is almost finished.

Rendering now.

http://gerbick.com/neue/images/door.png

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

This is a very quick tutorial on how to open that door... so forgive the rough, rough graphics...

Open up Swift3D and create a box... it'll have the dimension of (1, 1, 1)... which we'll have to change.

Arbitrarily I chose the Width to be 3.5 and the Height to be 6.25. I forgot to change the Depth, but you'd probably find 0.4 to be a good "door depth"...

Now here's the cool part... move the Pivot for the door. Doors open on hinges which are located on the edge of the door, away from the handle. So we need to emulate that...

So move the Pivot from the middle of the door as below...

But to do so, highlight the door, and then in the Property Tools palette, select Move Pivot Only...

Select that Red/Green/Blue indicator that was in the middle of the door and move it to where the Y (green) is on the edge of the door...

And don't go outside of the door, or it'll pivot in an odd manner. Place that pivot on the very edge, the corner of the door, and then click Animate and then click on the timeline away from 0 - I clicked on 60, while my FPS was set on 24 for a gradual swing, you can set it wherever you wish and play around with the animation portion to suit your needs - and then within the Property Tools palette, go to Rotation and only affect the Y Rotation by clicking on the arrows and dragging to negative to swing towards the camera, click and drag to positive to swing away from the door.

And seriously... that's it. Render that bad boy, place your texture o' choice on it, and that should be all. Place the lights in reasonable places and you can pretty much make it look quite realistic.

Hope this quick as heck tutorial helps out a bit

Or you could use an existing 3D door, and then animate it - starting with moving the pivot.

Now that was easy. I was able to get the effect although I wanted to get the real metal effect on the door. I did it but I'm sure it could be better. THANKS a whole lot gerbick. This really helped out a lot.

can we use maya to do this too....
    I was told that maya 3d animation is much more easy and yoou could make astonishing 3d animation with it...???

can we use maya to do this too....
    I was told that maya 3d animation is much more easy and yoou could make astonishing 3d animation with it...???

Maya is definitely more powerful than Swift3D, but in this case, I would go about and say it's "easier". We're talking about a $250.00 product versus a $2000 product.

But with that said, yes. It can be done in Maya as well relatively easily using the same method actually. What I described above was how I would have done it in 3ds max as well.

$2000 oops.... Guess it wold be more interesting to work with swift3D afterall...