A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Best way to create website w/ content editable by text document?

Hybrid View

participant

Best way to create website w/ content editable by text document?

Creating a simple website for my friend in a band. He'll need to update it maybe once or twice a week w/ dates and showtimes etc. HOWEVER, he is not technically inclined. I want to make it so he can just type what he needs into a text document on his laptop (a Mac), and have that update his page.

I'm a graphic designer and somewhat technically inclined, but woefully ignorant of this side of things. What program / format would be both good for this purpose and simple enough if I'm only looking to learn this element? Are there any free tutorials online about it?

Also, I'd like for there to be a way he could update photos by himself. Maybe he could have a folder on his laptop with say three pictures that he names pic1, pic2, pic3, where if he saves a new photo to one of those names, the new photo fills that slot. Or maybe there's a better way?

FYI: I use a PC.

My sincere thanks for any help or insight...

Allan Jardine
    Basically you are looking for a Content Management System. There are many freely available ones out there (Mambo etc) which should be fairly easy to install. Most open source CMSs are very complete and would allow a lot of control of the site.

Alternatively on the really simple side of things you could as you say have a text file, which your friend would then upload after making changes and have it 'included' in your HTML document by using PHP, server side includes (SSI) or what ever other method is available on your web-server.

Hope this helps
    Allan

Allan Jardine
    Oh - forgot to say - Adobe Contribute is apparently good for this kind of thing as well - but I've never used it so can't say...

Creating a site is the most important part in web development. There are many sources now a days to create a site mostly through languages and codes. If you know languages you can very well create a site. Else you can go to some other professional and get their aid to create a site. Or if you need to create a site with your own taste without knowing any languages or programs, templates will help you. When creating a site through templates you can create a site within a day or two so that you can save time.
    i used templates to create my own website. i bought the templates from TheWebPole.com