A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [DISC] Planning Games

Qwaizang:syntax_entity_ Q__Hybrid's Avatar
    I'm not in the same league as most of the guys on this thread, but I'll add my perspective anyway.

I prefer to work things out mathematically, so the first step for me is to build a flexible and thorough library of math functions that are distributed within a bundle of custom classes. Once these are established, I write additional classes that contain functions for rendering, input handling, etc.

I write copious comments in my code until a class is in its final state, often with "note to self" multiple times.

I think it's important to develop a personal library of classes that can be used in a wide variety of situations before moving into a full blown project. If you're going to be making games, alot of it is writing low-level code, so it's easiest to write it once, make it flexible, and only have to code the things that are specific to the project.

From there, it's alot of thinking on paper and reading stuff on FK, Kirupa, LiveDocs, etc. I think the slowest part of any planning I do has to be thinking on paper because I try to work out all the possible pros and cons in the design approach to each element before I script.

Also, I prefer to avoid author-time construction of anything I work on, unless it is necessary. In nearly all cases, if I do not script it, it isn't in my project (with the exception of graphics, of course).
    Qwai•zang \kwî-'zan\ n [origin unknown] 1 : abstract designer, esp. of complex real-time experiments, c. 21st century

"I think it's important to develop a personal library of classes that can be used in a wide variety of situations"

Couldn't agree more, although I wouldn't do that at the expense of actually writing the game. The end product is what's important, not how you got there.
    Any classes you put together always get more refined on every project you do, so I find it's best not to get bogged trying to make them too perfect ( Something I think most of us have been guilty of ).

Squize.

I dont use classes. I just feel its overkill for most things. I have functions that are entirely independent of the script they are in so I just rip the usefull ones out of a script and slap them in a new one.

I just cant be bothered to spend the extra time create classes when I could be working on something that is needed for the current project.
    If our body is a clock ticking away and if while we experience all that this world has to offer time has still continued to pass, are we living or just experiencing a slow death?

I was totally the same til I crossed over to as2.

Squize.

Yeh ive been told it is a change and I dabble in as2 for some things. Ill probably end up using classes at some point and find they are extremely useful.
    If our body is a clock ticking away and if while we experience all that this world has to offer time has still continued to pass, are we living or just experiencing a slow death?

Kakihara
    The first time yeah, what happens if you need to fix something with the functions or extend them? then say some old old project needs to be re-exported?

I can't believe i've only been using classes for 1 year, they have saved me a hell of allot of trouble and made coding so much faster.

these guys have some good base classes for everything - http://casaframework.org/ although I've never actually used any of them, for any hardcore serious game i think it'd be a good choice. Probably getting a bit off topic here.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

MY planning only goes as far as making a list of features and then adding
    NC
    WIP
    Done