A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Load Windows Explorer From A Flash Exe

Load Windows Explorer From A Flash Exe

Good afternoon fellow flashers. Im working on a cd/dvd run exe presentation. I need help with the code to load a specific sub folder of the disc for the viewer to gain direct access to a file??

your help with the code would be greatly appreciated!!

on a similar topic is there a way to access a version of windows explorer to access these files from flash. I think my first option would be a heck of a lot easier though!

cheers

Rob

Moved from the ActionScript to the Standalone & Applications Forum.

I didn't understand... you would like to open Windows Explorer with specified disk (e.g. C: and so on) ?

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    Check out the sticky FAQ thread at the top of this forum. The answer you're looking for is part of this question...

Q: How can I add a button to my projector that opens an Explorer Window (not a browser) at the drive where my projector was launched from, even when it's launched from a CD?
    It shows how to open an explorer window on the drive where your projector is, but you can substitute any drive letter you like. To open a folder on the drive you're running from, just use the drv variable (points to the root) and tack on the path the folder you want.
    Last edited by Northcode; 05-04-2007 at 05:08 PM.

Hi,

I have explored both the getURL and fscommand avenue and still with no luck. I need to open a folder (using explorer or whatever file browsing tool the operating system allows) but fscommand just does not seem to do anything and getURL displays the directory using the browser.

I am using CS3 AS2 on a Windows XP SP2 dev environment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    getURL("c:\\windows\\system32") works for me but you might also want to try getURL("file:///c:\\windows\\system32") and see if that makes any difference. They both open in Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) for me - that's on Windows XP SP2 and using Flash 8 to create the projector.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I tried the trick on a different machine and the getURL("...") worked (ie explorer opened).

Now, the only difference between the two machines is that I have IE and Mozilla Firefox (default browser) installed on mine, and the other machine only has IE installed.

I think what happens is that when the folder is opened in IE, if no protocol is specified, IE assumes that it is a "file" and hence opens explorer? It seems that if Mozilla receives an unspecified protocol, it also assumes a file but opens the folder/file in the browser. Both statements here are assumptions so if anyone knows any better, please share . (i will put my theory to test later on today). Anyway, I hope this snippet may come in use to someone.

Is it possible to specify which browser to use with getURL("..") (maybe using java script?)

PS - I am using flash 9.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by cullendw
    Thanks for the speedy reply.

I tried the trick on a different machine and the getURL("...") worked (ie explorer opened).

Now, the only difference between the two machines is that I have IE and Mozilla Firefox (default browser) installed on mine, and the other machine only has IE installed.

I think what happens is that when the folder is opened in IE, if no protocol is specified, IE assumes that it is a "file" and hence opens explorer? It seems that if Mozilla receives an unspecified protocol, it also assumes a file but opens the folder/file in the browser. Both statements here are assumptions so if anyone knows any better, please share . (i will put my theory to test later on today). Anyway, I hope this snippet may come in use to someone.

Is it possible to specify which browser to use with getURL("..") (maybe using java script?)

PS - I am using flash 9.

Cheers
    OK, my above ranting is confirmed, upon installing firefox on the other machine, the folder was opened in the browser rather than explorer. We uninstalled firefox and the explorer trick worked again. We are now exploring ways to specify the browser to use when using getURL .....

Using Northcode's proxy.exe you could set up a .bat file with the below code and it should open the cd's root folder in explorer. This is assuming that the fscommand folder is on the cd root. (D:\\fscommand\browse.bat)

browse.bat
    --------------------

START explorer ..\

--------------------

Hope this helps