A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The new Flash CS3 is there

The new Flash CS3 is there

Downloaded the new CS3 last night and checked all my files. The compiler found a couple more errors compared to the Flash 9 preview although fortunately nothing serious.
    I like the way debugging works to click on the error message and the .as file is opened with the error highlited. It does not look as if much was added compared to Flash 8. The data components are missing. My guess is Adobe wants us to buy Flex 2.

I haven't played around yet much.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

Actionscript 3, postproduction georgecalgary's Avatar
    Anyone know whether we can switch platforrms when upgrade Flash 8 to Flash CS3?

I found this:

Can I switch platforms when I upgrade my software to an Adobe Creative Suite 3 version?
    No, you are eligible to upgrade only to a version that runs on the same platform. For example, if you own Adobe Creative Suite 2 for Windows, you are eligible to upgrade only to a Windows version of Adobe Creative Suite 3.

Ok, I think it couldn't switch platform to upgrade. Have to use Windows Vista still! Too bad.

*Upgrade pricing is available only for products listed above and requires a qualifying previous product on the same platform, with serial number.

Data components missing? Thats a downright blow. I guess I won't be needing Flash 9.

how'd you get that CS3 trial, on their site the downloads are not ready?

you know something i dont?
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Quote Originally Posted by mr_malee
    how'd you get that CS3 trial, on their site the downloads are not ready?

you know something i dont?
    If you mean me (?), it is not a trial. I preordered a month ago and they informed me by email and I could download.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

Downloading my Flash CS3.

If you call customer service and ask them gently, they should change your platform once.

I don't think that would happen a second time.

It worked for me at the time of MX2004: I had sold my license to a Mac user to then discover about the platform restriction.
    I worked it in the call centre and got it right!

Altruism does not exist. Sustainability must be made profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by keyone.it
    If you call customer service and ask them gently, they should change your platform once.

I don't think that would happen a second time.

It worked for me at the time of MX2004: I had sold my license to a Mac user to then discover about the platform restriction.
    I worked it in the call centre and got it right!

But now it's Adobe. I asked their online chat support they said, NO.

Er...about those data components...
    WTF?

Come one... online chat support?
    You really think you can get service through Internet-based support.

If you want things to be done, you call them, and you make them feel that they wont get rid of you until stuff is good.

Phone support people are mostly lame lazy chaps that hear stupid questions all the day. Obviously they will find it very difficult to press a button to help you. You must wake them from their daily denial routine.

Hehe..

No, seriously. How do we stitch those data components back in? I don't want to use Flex. Goddamn it, Adobe is rotten. Macromedia let you download the remoting components for free back in the day. People here ought to be coming up with workarounds to this kind of greedy, manipulative behavior. (See my thread at http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=729104 for a class that brings a tiny corner of this functionality back in AS3...)...

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    Goddamn it, Adobe is rotten. Macromedia let you download the remoting components for free back in the day. People here ought to be coming up with workarounds to this kind of greedy, manipulative behavior.

When you are done "stitching" try to remember who's free flashplayer makes your creations something viewable and not so much useless fodder. While you're at it think hard to when Macromedia ever offered a free compiler. Bite the hand that feeds you...it might stop serving dinner

okay, not to turn this into a flame thread, but (a) the alpha compiler kernel panicked my Macbook Pro and I have no doubt it'll cost $600 on it when it comes out for "real", and (b) there are innumerable other ways to create great web / server content, and they all make their players available for free, or build straight into java code like proce55ing. We code for whoever has the money and the muscle to force Dell and Apple and Compaq to include their player with the built-in browser...or we starve. Free viewers are the business model, and we're the jerks that get jerked around every time, (and everyone remembers this), Microsoft gets sued and blind-updates their browsers all over the world to ignore embed tags.
    This ain't a call to class warfare. I'm just saying, let's build the tools that coders need to keep their projects running, rather than chasing the unattainable goal of permanently propping up Adobe's bottom line by allowing more and more of the essential, basic code that runs our script to be fragged off and sold back to us at absurd prices.

I don't know what you've been reading man but there are tons of press snippets for the last year that have clearly spelled out where Adobe was taking Flash and Flex. Now...if you disagree with the decisions they have made...that's one thing and you're right to do but to call them greedy and manipulative?...waaaaay offbase.

Plenty a person who could only use a cracked version of flash previously (because they couldn't afford it) or were forced to settle for a cheap third party (Swish, Koolmoves, etc) now has the opportunity to compile state of the art FP9 exports based on AS3 (without regard to any flex mxml or flex specific components if they choose not to use them)...for free. We're not talking MTASC here..we are talking right from the king of Flash (they bought it...they own the crown).

Flex 1.5 and Flex 2.....what is the pricing difference?....boatloads (odd move from a greedy company).

I'll bet if I decided to whip out C and create my own Flash wrapper for the desktop...when I was done I would price it $100 bucks below Zinc and watch the money roll in. Did Adobe do that?...nope....another freebie... and it will do things even Zinc doesn't do. Another odd move for a greedy company.

You'll forgive me having no patience with whining about a commercial corporation trying to make a buck and making their own decisions...plenty of which (in recent months) have benefitted the end user far and above benefitting the company itself.

Well, I feel like this is a glass-half-empty/half-full conversation. For me, rewriting a mountain of code on someone's whim is no fun... and for the compiler, you're talking about Apollo, right? And you don't think that's gonna be more expensive than Zinc when it comes out?
    So, I feel Adobe is taking advantage of its new eyeball share and you don't, I'm not really that into keeping an argument going about this...I'm just saying that in the real world most of us don't give a crap about compiling screensavers, we just need to keep those Flash 6 sites maintained, or be able to manipulate RecordSets like we were always able to, and it's just stupid to have to pay for something that used to be free.

And you don't think that's gonna be more expensive than Zinc when it comes out?

Sure don't

Quote Originally Posted by keyone.it
    Come one... online chat support?
    You really think you can get service through Internet-based support.

If you want things to be done, you call them, and you make them feel that they wont get rid of you until stuff is good.

Phone support people are mostly lame lazy chaps that hear stupid questions all the day. Obviously they will find it very difficult to press a button to help you. You must wake them from their daily denial routine.

Hehe..
    Thanks dude, you might be right ... hehe

I should call them when I plan to buy a Mac after Leopard release....
    Last edited by georgecalgary; 04-26-2007 at 02:17 AM.

@joshstrike

I really don't want to get into this discussion, BUT, you should keep in account that commercial components are just a piece of the cake.

There are many developers, like myself, that don't use them. We build our own stuff from scratch, for a simple reason: it's just better.

If you need remoting, you can invest a weekend in developing your own components.

Plus I don't understand why you should use AS3 components to mantain Flash 6 websites. Experience tells me, if you work on old sites, you better use old authoring (it's cheaper and Macromedia had always had an issue with backward compatibility, so Flash MX would be your choise), you really have no reason to use Flash CS3 or AS3.

There is no hype for the new features until they become available to the mass. In the real world, you should code for Flash 7 at the most, if your target goes mobile too.

Knows where you live
    I have never used any components, and I don't plan on doing so.
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
    - Walter Bagehot
    The height of cleverness is to be able to conceal it.
    - Francois de La Rochefoucauld