dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FREE Games Tournament information

FREE Games Tournament information

Thought I would post some information on this Flash Games Tournament I found the other day looking for tutorials. This place sells pretty good video tutorials and they just came out with a series called, Introduction to Building Flash Games. They are supposed to be coming out with more games series but they have all kinds of other series right now. They are having a Build-Your-Own Game tournament. $2000 cash and prizes. Check it out. Thought I would let anyone interested know.

http://learnflash.com/contest-0407-gaming.html

BTW You DO NOT have to buy the training videos to enter. But they are good tuts if I must say so myself.

Edited link to contest page - Tony
    Last edited by tonypa; 04-19-2007 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Changing link

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    Wow, great find, thanks for sharing this with us!

lol, spam.

Student
    thatīs advertising
    prices are unreasonable high (never seen such redicules prizes), every friends of ed book or OReilly one is a better inverstment as those mini expensive video tutorials (wich are propably ripp offs of all the free tutorials on the net).

and mr longbow2 is propably the 1 and only owner of that site and thought he wanted some free contribution to his/her commercial project. But that could be told in a honest way not the "look what I found" lie way

What we re supposed to pay cash for a video of someone showing us the space shooter tutorial thats for free on this site? OO Hello??!
    I do stuff that does stuff...

J-Force

I've avoided all these kinds of threads so far, tried to be good and avoid flaming, but...

longbow2 once a week recently we get a thread along the lines of "Hey, I was browsing and look what I found..." when it's so obvious that the poster is just promoting their own site.

Self promotion isn't a bad thing, I've been known to do it once or twice myself ( For example, Level Up has been Emmy nominated ! How sweet is that ), but it's one thing posting some good news about yourself, or even giving it proper large, but at least be up front about it and don't hide behind the guise of doing the community a favour with a great discovery.

It's not the best technique, treating your potential audience like idiots, which is what all these threads do.

Squize.

As a matter of fact my brother and I have actually tried their product and it's very easy for a beginner like myself to learn by. I resent your flamatory remarks and don't care what you think. I thought it was a cool find so lay off. I unlike many of you am learning flash and am not able to make my own games. In an attempt to promote them because I actually liked their product you ridicule me. I realize now that if you are new to this forum then maybe you should find a new one. Thanks.

Oh and please don't enter the contest, it gives me a better chance.

Best Regards.

Student
    let me tell you at least that flashkit.com, kirupa.com,... are propably a better run because they cost nothing, provide a feedback option and a chat with a big community.
    Maybe give them a try so you dont need to waste your money on expensive movies. Regarding your first post,- might have been smarter if you directly linked to the contest page instead of the advertising one, the contest one would be:
    http://learnflash.com/contest-0407-gaming.html
    the conditions arenīt that bad for smal games (if we can expect that not that much people apply)

If you're not connected to the site then I apologise sincerely, it's just that your first post read very much like self promotion ( "But they are good tuts if I must say so myself." reads like you wrote them yourself ).

Ironic that the first time I bite...

Squize.

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    If I had just tried shamelessly promoting my site in this way, I wouldn't be too quick to admit that I just lied in order to deceive everyone, as soon as a few people accuse me of it. I'm pretty sure from that first post that he is just advertising his site. Of course I could be wrong, and I apologize if I am, but you only have to look at the nature of the post.

- First post, most people make their first posts introducing themselves or asking for help, not sharing a great site they just found.
    - He spends 75% of the post talking about the great tutorials you can buy, when the post is supposed to be about a competition.
    - "BTW You DO NOT have to buy the training videos to enter. But they are good tuts if I must say so myself." This just sums it up for me, that just screams advertising at me, and like squize said, who says "if I must say so myself" when talking about someone elseís work?
    - We have had other posts just like this, first posts pretending to be helping out the community when really they are just promoting themselves. Some of them have denied it too, but you never see them again after they are done promoting.

Sorry if thatís a bit blunt, I donít think Iím in a good mood, and I canít stand posts like this.

Ali

Quote Originally Posted by alillm
    If I had just tried shamelessly promoting my site in this way, I wouldn't be too quick to admit that I just lied in order to deceive everyone, as soon as a few people accuse me of it. I'm pretty sure from that first post that he is just advertising his site. Of course I could be wrong, and I apologize if I am, but you only have to look at the nature of the post.

- First post, most people make their first posts introducing themselves or asking for help, not sharing a great site they just found.
    - He spends 75% of the post talking about the great tutorials you can buy, when the post is supposed to be about a competition.
    - "BTW You DO NOT have to buy the training videos to enter. But they are good tuts if I must say so myself." This just sums it up for me, that just screams advertising at me, and like squize said, who says "if I must say so myself" when talking about someone elseís work?
    - We have had other posts just like this, first posts pretending to be helping out the community when really they are just promoting themselves. Some of them have denied it too, but you never see them again after they are done promoting.

Sorry if thatís a bit blunt, I donít think Iím in a good mood, and I canít stand posts like this.

Ali
    You wasted your time writing all of that, to sum it up.

-he registered today
    -his first post was this
    -his last post will be this

Well, there is a Flash Game competition so I think this fits in games board. If all the content would be purely selling tutorials, it would be ad and not allowed. Of course all games competitions are ads too, yet this does not differ much from Armorgames or Mousebreaker thread.

Right now I see this as the game content thread. Lets try to focus on the competition rules etc and less what other things the site offers.

P.S. I will edit the link to directly on contest page.

i might do this for the heck of it. well...maybe...
    3. You must be the sole creator, owner and have sole control of the submitted entry.

does this mean that the game has to be copyrighted/any other special stuff like that?

or is it simply: i have the game, i made it, i put it on a website. no legal stuff involved?

but, if indeed this post was not created as an ad, but rather a true discovery, nice find. it seems to me that it is a fair contest and not a bad prize payout

Come on longbow. You gotta admit your post does look a lot like self-promotion. Stop grizzling.

anything with FREE in the title is spam in my books, this aint no shopping mall
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

I think we all need to relax.

Over the past 6 months our community has been getting smaller and smaller.

on avg there are only about 6 of us daily users and serious contributors.

If someone comes on here with a contest and does a bit of self promoting we should look at his promotion and maybie make comments as to what we think.

We are all in this for publicity and money, we should not be hating so much on those trying to self promote, insetad maybie help them to do it in a more correct manner. Maybie he went about it in a bit of a wrong way, but we cant run everyone off that makes a "politically incoreect post", especially when its there first, they may not be avid forum members and my not understand all the underground rules.

As someone that is trying to break into the industry myself, I think it is very important to self promote, I try as often as possible to promote myself and my work, and I think we should take it a bit easier on others as well.... we cant just sit in this forum and show our WIPS and talk about new stuff all day,.

Sometimes I would like to see what "squizie" or tonypa are up to proffessionally or maybie sea bit mroe of self promoting, we should be encouraging eachother to take these routes.

I just feel maybie our community could grow a bit if sometimes we ralxed and thought a bit outside the box.

As I wrote I've got nothing against self promotion, I pimp the arse out of myself ( Did I mention that Emmy nomination ? ), but it should be upfront.

Longbow says he's not connected with the site, and that's good enough for me, and I've apologised for digging him out. Guess it was just poor wording on his behalf mixed with being jaded about the constant one post pimpers on here recently.

As to what I'm up to, well I should really link to the new blog some time

Squize.

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    There's only like 56000+ users on FK, ever, don't close yourself off to the rest of the board. Sure maybe "Games" has around 100 active users, but that still leaves roughly FIFTY SIX THOUSAND PEOPLE.

*waits for Squize to mention emmy one more time*

*hits with bat*

*drops bat, whistles, and wanders off*
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

No need to mention it again mate, got you doing it for me.

Squize.

I think we all know Squize is the king of the pimp so if he has forgiven then so should we all

I havent been active on here much for the last 6 months which happens to be a complete coincidence that thats how long ive been a full time developer with a studio

I will say that Longbow is very wrong about one thing, this forum is great and full of top people. If it wasnt for this forum and people like Squize I wouldnt be making games for a living. People need to learn to take flaming every now and again. I still remember the flaming I got when I posted my first few threads. I got caned by a few people, Squize included. But I deserved it caus I was being an idiot.

Maybe the users on here are dwindling caus people are getting the help they need and moving onto careers.

Ta.
    If our body is a clock ticking away and if while we experience all that this world has to offer time has still continued to pass, are we living or just experiencing a slow death?