A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Game Portals licensing games: the definitive list

Game Portals licensing games: the definitive list

Ok, out of personal interest and also cause i think its good for all i´d like us to have a list of all portals licensing games.
    I know there were similar threads before but i think its good if we have all in one place and have that linked in the knowledgebase then, too.

Game portal owners who aren´t mentioned but licence games, are welcome to post, too, of course

I´ll kick it off with the ones most mentioned around here:

Licensing portals:

-Miniclip.com
    -Mousebreaker.com
    -Realarcade.com
    -Shockwave.com

Sponsoring portals:

-armorgames.com
    -crazymonkeygames.com
    Last edited by tomsamson; 04-23-2007 at 03:13 PM.

What exactly is the difference between Licensing and Sponsorship?

Great thread, btw.

we´ve got a thread which dissects things in a bit more detail here: http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=720500

In short, sponsorship in the way most portals who specialize in that do it officially seen would be similar to non exclusive licencing with the main difference that the portal wants to spread the game around the net to have it seen everywhere with its custom logo/intro.

Let´s say we list portals which do exclusive or non exclusive licensing bound to a single domain as "licensing portals" and those doing non exclusive licensing but also with no domain restriction as "sponsoring portals", just so we all speak about the same thing
    Last edited by tomsamson; 04-23-2007 at 03:32 PM.

I'm happy to get the opportunity to mention BubbleBox.com which I'm running together with my brother.
    We've bought non-exclusive rights for eighteen games in the past six months. (including six new games ordered last week - which yet have to be published)

Here's the sites I'd like to add to the list:

-BubbleBox.com
    -Arcadetown.com
    -Zapak.com

I've had good experiences with selling many of my own games to both Arcadetown and Zapak

So all the games on your site BubbleBox.com are non-exclusive. I see a few games from a couple of boys on these forums.

The games at BubbleBox are a mix of free games and licensed games. But the games that have been licensed so far are all non-exclusive rights to display the game at the site. (with a splash screen and our highscores inserted) We will be looking to buy distribution licenses in the future as well.
    All licensed games, together with the games I've made myself are on this page: http://www.bubblebox.com/home/bubblebox.htm

Quote Originally Posted by hooligan2001
    I see a few games from a couple of boys on these forums.
    Yes, I visit here often to see if some nice new games are in the make or have been released

Hey tom I thought you would have mentioned candystand.com under licensing portals or isn't that how it works with them?

candystand.com doesn´t do non exclusive licensing and with this thread i was more into getting a list of sites people can licence their games to together, not listing clients who are mostly into having custom games developed.

I didn't even really know that portals paid for their games. I thought it was mainly to get your stuff out there.

So how much can you make on a game - either exclusively or non-exclusively?

I assume it really depends on the game, but for at top of line game, are we talking $100, $1000 or $10000? I really don't have much clue, but it would be nice to have some information for those of us who never really considered making games for licensing

its not seen as good business manner to talk about b2b internal arrangments in public,so yeah, please keep that out of the forum.
    That said,as with many products/ services there´s no specific downwards or upwards limit, you basically arrange a price with your client which matches dev effort/game specs/licensing deal features.

Shockarcade.com

Jarkey.net

Both have been more than reasonable in my opinion.
    If our body is a clock ticking away and if while we experience all that this world has to offer time has still continued to pass, are we living or just experiencing a slow death?

Quote Originally Posted by tomsamson
    candystand.com doesn´t do non exclusive licensing and with this thread i was more into getting a list of sites people can licence their games to together, not listing clients who are mostly into having custom games developed.
    Ahh I get it now sorry. I thought they work on exclusive licensing. So do they seek out games to be made for their site? Do they ask for a specific type of game?