A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Does Erain know something about XAML that we don't?

Does Erain know something about XAML that we don't?

Was perusing the Flashkit News Forum and saw a post from Planet about Erain's Harmony... which outputs Flash/SWF over to MS's WPF/XAML and Silverlight's XAML.

Keyword... and...

There's going to be two flavors of XAML? Harmony takes simple animations, not AS though, to XAML.

hmmm...

yes... I'm following XAML a bit.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Add Mono to that list too of people that seem to know something... XAML will run on Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari as well as mobile devices and Linux too. Mono will bring Linux tools before end of the year for Silverlight.

Flash ain't there yet.

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    I dinked around with SilverLight today to see what the brewhaha was. Long story short...think I'll stay put

As for that tool you mention...I was at first thinking it was a S O T H I N K like scarfer that would enable SL'ers to jumpstart their platform with the bevy of SWF's on the net as fodder for the lazy. Also wanted to know what versions of Flash it supported as dissectable material (still see no mention of that).

Anyway...these ended the exploration with a smile:

Harmony v1.0 goes beyond frame-by-frame conversion by converting complete Flash SWF files focused on graphical shape definitions and simple animations into native XAML animations. Note that Harmony does not convert Flash ActionScript code.*

* With Harmony v1.0, there may be limited support for animations that rely on ActionScript to run, and there may be support for button interaction such as rollover state. There will not be support for any interactivity contained within the original SWF file that relies on ActionScript to execute any behaviors, such as jumping to frames, loading movie clips, etc. As such, Harmony v1.0 will be most effectively used in converting simple SWF files that contain graphics and frame-based animations to the XAML format.

So I'll give it a hearty "cute tool" and leave it at that

caithness massiv
    well put... it's an important thing to note that Erain will probably not be capable of supporting any type of AS porting... they are very used to working with simple, frame-based animations ( i.e. Swift3d )

so when is FLEX going to export XAML ?!

::waves at gerbs::

Holy Jumping McMackerel... It's Agent Vivid... sup dude.

caithness massiv
    yeah buddy! nada mucho mainly Flexing lately. u?

Nothing doing here dude... burned out on code for the most part. Largely just a bum and dreamer.

caithness massiv
    aren't we all ? i'm dreaming of a day when I wake up, go outside, and DON't hear the word WAR or insurgent or any of that... can we make that dream a reality?

importing animation have been there since xml is there. Whats the hype? You can export animation from after-effect ,from 3D soft. in trig. with Collada for camera or shape tween and more... Now that byteArray is there you can compile/emulate about anything and its smaller in size then that damn xaml with all its nodes and attributes. As long as my text is seo and back/foward compatible with my oop while not duplicating code in the same player its all good and hybrid.

anyway.. its great news that Erain ( wow that swift 3D was kool back in the days ) is still pushing with some new tools.

arg.. im drubk
    I ask you all to concentrate really hard on the freedom of all being. Its hard not to be very angry it is impossible We have to focus this confusion frustration helplessness feeling into a creative outlet Anger can spawn such amazing creativity through Street art Free art to teach each other know each other a language our evolution Go ahead and break some dumb rules

Drunk or not... you raise a few good points.

I just think that XAML might end up being a bit of a secondary choice to apps as much as .NET became so quickly.

I still like some of the things that I hear...