A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Sound timeline controls

Sound timeline controls

I have dragged a short soundclip onto the stage (300kb) and i want to know how i can control it with a simple on/off button? anyone know how i can do that? also is adding a short sound loop like this to the timeline an acceptable method or is there a better way? cheers

There are 2 different ways to handle sound, you can have it internal or external. Which way would depend on your project needs. If you have a lot of sound and need to watch file size, then external sound would be ideal. Otherwise if you only have a sound or two and they aren't that big then internal is fine. I've attached a example .fla to show you how to handle the sound internally. The sound is imported into the library, but not placed on the stage. Instead it is given a linkage identifier and referenced via code.

You will need to import a song/sound into the example .fla i've included and give it a linkage name of song1 for the example to work, i couldn't upload it will a sound already in it sorry too big. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by layerburn; 08-28-2007 at 06:14 PM.
    This is your brain. This is your brain on script.

as well as the comments from layerburn, there is
    an excellent tutorial on using the sound object
    at the link in my sig.

hth

cool, cheers for the help guys