A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: What the .....

What the .....

Hello,
    Recently I got a new book. PHP and MySQL for dynamic web sites. It really is a great book for getting started. Has a support site (had) - will explain.

I accessed the support site - joined the forum, etc... Had some questions answered - was a happy programmer. I ploughed through until I got to a typo. A real typo. The book has a typo. Out of courtsey I emailed the author - I am a part time copy editor in another life. Within hours the site was off line. No response from email - and to top it all off Gerbic I started hearing voices. So I turned down the TV to email Flaskit for some over the steam answers to this outrage.

Can anyone access this site? I feel as if I have been targeted - and blocked for some outlandish sci-fi reason with some PHP code I don't know yet.

http://www.dmcinsights.com/phpmysql2

ODC
    Much to learn.... Much to learn....

Working fine here.

Quote Originally Posted by website
    Any and all correspondence is welcome...
    The author must have really not liked your comments.

Author

I thought he threw a temper tantrum. I imagined an ego in a suit totally e fricking flippin out. Yanking and pulling his hair out saying over and over again "A typo --- in MY BOOK!!!!"

Here to now. Been waiting for two days. Emailed you guys and it was online in about three minutes - that is the honest truth too. Timing..?
    Last edited by Odisey; 05-04-2007 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Can't spell a word

What was the typo?

Original emails:

This is an excellent book - I am going right along. Thank you for such clear and un-intimidating examples. Just enough! I create training and publication materials also - instructional design. I am sure that my interpretation of: Page 79 second column, number 4. should read for content - "Rewrite the $years for loop as a while loop." This is a direct statement - and appropriate in context.

We had discussed the foreach in the array section just previous. And the word in the book now in this position is foreach - and not for each (i.e. two words). The for each/foreach reference has no meaning here, as 1) it is a for loop, 2. foreach was previously discussed and it is another concept, 3. for each does not apply contextually as we are applying the change to only one loop.

I said to myself, a book like this can have no typos! I hope this helps you with any future edits - in the event others have not noticed it.

Hello,
    The typo I mentioned previously extends back to number 3 on the previous page. In that step it also says foreach. It must be a typo either way, as foreach may be a word in the php scripting language, but it is not a word in the English language.

Thank you again for such a great book. BTW your web site is down all day today - May 03, 2007.

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Odisey
    ...and to top it all off Gerbic I started hearing voices...
    ???

you are such a strange dude.

off the website:
    "Once again, the server (and therefore the Web site) was down for the past 24 hours. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Even worse, it looks like I'm back on my quest to find reliable Web hosting (it took 5 phone calls and extra $$$ to get the server back up). This also means that I didn't receive any emails sent between the afternoon of Thursday, May 3rd (US Easter Time) and the afternoon of Friday, May 4th. If you sent an email in that time, please resend it (or just use the forum). My apologies again! Larry
    (May 4, 2007)"

Wait... how did my name get dragged into this!?

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Voices

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    Wait... how did my name get dragged into this!?
    I could hear your voice....

I tought you knew...

You don't know?

You love my velvet smooth voice.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Odisey,

You make me feel intimidated. I submitted a book last week. Was that typo confusing the understanding of the particular matter?
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

Ah ok, it was quite confusing.

Have you seen the errata page?

http://www.dmcinsights.com/phpmysql2/errata.php

He must have got a few emails.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

Konfuzing

"Gerb is that you.... ...... ..... "

[Odisey sitting crossed legged - meditating in a large room with a wooden floor. A stream gentle flowing in the background, birds, breezes through large open walls - Chinese flute music players gathered under a tree are heard distantly]

I am a copy editor when I have on another hat, And I write also - ball is rolling. So when I pick up matter I find stuff - often lots of stuff. An entire section of a grammar book, based on a single grammatical principal is wrong because they reversed the principle before writing the section - easy logical mistake. They are still teaching from the book. That's an intellectual's comedy club. The Grammar Book by: Celce-Murcia and Larsen Freeman. They still don't know - SSSSHhhhhh! I find this stuff - maybe I want too. I'm not sure-I find it though wherever it hides.

I was reading this book the other say minding my own business and there it was! Ah! no......... Um,,,,,, AH!

An error. It was an ErRoR. It was wrong!.. It looked OK among its friends - other concepts disguised as words --- Ahhhh... Ha ha..... Nonetheless it was not right.

Actually - it makes some sense if you think the word "foreach" is in the English language. Actually though it is somewhat konfuszing if you really understand what you read and are not on a roller coaster of other general ideas gathered from the entire textual flow. Does that make sense? I think most people read for what they expect to read and not really read what is on the page - off ton.

Are you sendng me a desk reference?

Odisey
    Last edited by Odisey; 05-06-2007 at 06:32 AM. Reason: I can't spell real good.

Tyops

Quote Originally Posted by cancerinform
    Ah ok, it was quite confusing.

Have you seen the errata page?

http://www.dmcinsights.com/phpmysql2/errata.php

He must have got a few emails.
    Yes I looked here - it's not there - I submitted it.

Man I really hope you get recognition for saving the world from such ludicrousy.