A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: !! Recreating the Most Amazing platform game ever !!! ZELIARD !!!

Banned

!! Recreating the Most Amazing platform game ever !!! ZELIARD !!!

ZELIARD !! I like that game ... Its the first game i played when i was child ( 3 years old ) .... And i finished it , more than 2 times ... that game is Amazing !!

I would like to recreate that game , i know it has big size levels , and maybe its a little hard to make ...

For making that game , i need help ... I need someone to make graphics and someone to help me with actions (I know action scripts but not perfectly , so i need a little help!!! ).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Game describe :

The game has 10 levels , in end of each level , there is boss to kill , to continue to next level ... in each level there is a Town where you can Buy Weapons , Potions , go to inn and increase your health , deposit your money in bank etc... in every town for every level there is a cave , where you can go and kill enemys ... When you kill enemy it gives you Almas wich you can convert to gold in bank ... in every level in bank there is diferent convert to gold for example : in lvl 1 , 1 almas is 2 gold . in lvl 5 , 1 almas is 8 gold ... ( These are only examples ) . You cant buy things with Almas... In end of game , in the last level you have to kill the biggest boss , to finish the game ...

All this war in the cave is to escape the Princess.

The levels in this game are like Labirinths .... that makes the game more exciting !!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zeliard site :: http://www.zeliard.tk/# .....

If we make a team , we can recreate this game together (( )) ...

And if we decide to make this game the sounds and music of the game we can get from that site ....

Thanks !!

looks like a cool Retro game to remake, never heard of it before, the description you wrote sounds more like the first diablo (maybe this is where diablo got inspiration from)

there have been a few collab threads recently, none have gone so well. You might find someone because this project seems fun, retro games are enticing (well to me) basically i think the project could be simple, just a tilebased platform game.

you'll need to develop a tilebased engine which handles your tile movements and collisions, a good place to start is:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/list.asp?categoryid=44
    http://www.tonypa.pri.ee/tbw/
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Banned
    It will not be something like 3d or diablo , its platform game ...

Here is a screenshot of game :

Here are other game screenshots :

http://www.game-over.net/retro/oct99/zeliard/

I really would like to recreate this old game , with better graphic ....

Will you help me with ActionScripts ??? If not , no problem ...
    Last edited by pumi; 05-06-2007 at 07:31 AM.

Banned
    Srry , now i see what you mean with tile based game , what i understand with tile based game is isometric game , like diablo , something like 3d ... but now i see that with tile based game can make platform games , too ....

So would anyone help me recreate this game ...

Games like these always remind me of Jill of the Jungle

To make a game like this I think your better off teaching yourself to make the engine yourself. Like malee said collab's don't really go well.

Banned
    I will make the game engline myself , but for graphics someone must help me .... The graphics i want to be better then in Zeliard game !!!

Student
    @ pumi: you are starting to annoy me,- please DONT bump anymore. Using '!!!' signs all over the place wont give you neither more attention - but instead lets you look like a kid.

anyway my suggestion: start coding and once you have progressed to some level post it and ask for art/ graphics.

Banned
    Ok , but how i said , i need help with AS too , i know it and i can write it , but i cant do everything what i want yet.

And in thread i said Recreating it , but now i have better idea , not recreating but making Zeliard 2 .

Student
    then get to the point,- if you have no start at all get into the suggested tile- tutorials. If you already have plenty of knowledge ask in particular case what you want to know.

From what it looks it seems that the tiles are all 8*8 pixels, so you could either start ripping them and or try improving them with higher resoltion sprites.

Banned
    Yes , i will use that script used in tile - tutorial , if i want to make something more then in that tutorial , ill ask in actionscript section ...

you can ask all your questions here, we like to help. dont get discouraged.

Just try to take on as much as you can yourself, without asking for others to do it for you.

We love to help by giving advice and answering questions, but no one is sitting around just looking to make games for people. ESPECIALLY A GAZZILION TILES.

Just read as much as you can and dont worry about graphics up front, just use place holders, like plain green/red/blue tiles and a stick figure, just work on the game coding itself, once its done changing graphics will be cake.

But tryong to do the graphics while coding will make it seem as though its taking forever.

And also dont rush, its been 20 years since that game was out, and no sequel, so your not in any deadline.

Banned
    Thanks , a lot for your advice everfornever .

I will try coding it myself as much as i can ... if i cant do something i will ask here

Thanks again .

Banned
    I have started coding the game , but before i countinue i want to know what resolution need to be my flash document for this game ... i dont know !???

Thanks ...

Student
    320*240 was probaly the original active game size (not the panels around). Wich is however pretty smal on modern monitors and thus in the browser.
    Maybe somthing like 400*300 ?- if you are not sure open something like photoshop or create in Flash a big new scene set the zoom state to 100% and draw a rectangle you feel comfortable with. If you have one round the dimensions to values that can be devided by 8,16 or have a ratio of 4:3, but never something like 423*611 because such values are can not be devided by 2 (symetry) or do not match/ cover typical tile sizes

Banned
    And the other big problem is in the levels size ... the size of level is too big and it needs to be very big 2-dimensional array map to make it , this can make the game run slowly maybe ... and the maps are continuesly ( i dont know how to explain this , but if you check maps of that game , i am sure you will understand what i mean ) .

** I am making this game , tile based game , because of that i need to use 2-dimensional array map.

I hopw i can finsih this game !!! :P

Student
    tweaking process starts once you have a base,- no one knows from the beginning if the desired level size will actually work right away,- but that´s why you find out tweak points from time to time within the code and see how to optimize it.

my guess is that you are somewhat a beginner,- so first try to complete the tile tutorials and then worry about performance.

The size of the array won't have hardly any impact on the performance ( Not enough to worry about anyway ).

Squize.

Banned
    Here is a sample of a game till now , with tutorial graphics , i have modified it for my needs . I think because of big map its working too slow , and its freezing when i get to the Door ( only in flash versions 5+ ) ... I dont know , if anyone can optimize it , or do something ????
    Attached Files Attached Files

:
    Please, can you post a MX2004 version of the fla?

keep going through the tutorials, you'll get to scrolling keep at it though.

your door code shouldn't really freeze your player at all, it should just re-position the player, nothing needs to be re-built. The only thing i can think of is a continuous loop, entering one door, going to its destination, entering that door and going back to the first door.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade