A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Print Portfolio

Print Portfolio

Hi guys,

Im milling around with a few ideas for my printed portfolio, and would like to get your perspective on it.

I've a good quality portfolio book, which I will fill with the various brochures, pamflets, flyers, cards, etc; which is over A4+ size.
    So I'm thinking of laying everything out to A4, and using the additional bleed as an element in the layout.
    I'm not overly keen on having too much negative space, so Im thinking of adding fine verctor elements to edges, something which would match the themes I'm planning for my site, and the media CD's Im putting together.
    I'll post a quicky sample of what I'm thinking in a bit, for now I just want to get some feedback.

What do you think of that idea? Or how have those of you who have print portfolios presented that work?

i'd like to see what everyone else is sending too. I don't know if mine is professional enough...the work is, but the presentation may be lacking. I've had to mail my portfolio out before and my last prospect didn't return it (after many calls) so spending a bunch of money on a portfolio that i might not get back kind of scares me.

I know how you feel lefteye.
    Which is why I've decided to have one printed portfolio and then just distribute my media cd's as mini portfolios.
    They're cheap enough to send out to clients and potential jobs without having to worry too much about getting them back.

So this is what I had in mind:

It's a tough call, Nats. It might work once you get the real artwork instead of the blue box in there and tie it together with the rest of the portfolio. Basically though, it's my opinion that the leaves, while a nice illustrative element, aren't grounded enough to provide a proper display mechanism for the work itself. It might be that placing a smaller one in the upper right corner would serve to balance things out since right now the image as a whole seems a little 'left heavy', if you will.

Another thing is that I'm thinking you will want to somehow tie the organic elements into the overall portfolio design. I'm not sure what else you plan on putting in there, but you would want to place similar elements on the cover if you are going to do one of those, on pages dividing types of content perhaps, that sort of thing. Essentially I'm saying the vines look a little lost and out of place at the moment, but that could well change once you have all the pieces put together.

The vines themselves however, I think represent you and your artistic style well.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Oh I agree, did that in like 20 mins purely to have some indication of what's potting around my mind.
    The actual product would have to be a lot more streamlined, and I do see what you mean by carrying the theme throughout.
    I was thinking about this a little last night, and it might be hard to pull off well on some of the singular projects, like card design.
    I'll work on a few different things and post some new scamps up for feedback.

Thanks Rush

I'd be tempted not to have other elements in there, detracts attention from the artwork itself. just give the viewer some really high quality work to look at, that will get you more work.

heres a selection of more nice looking vector swirls

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_sear...ypeID=&x=0&y=0

bp

Oh, nice collection.
    Thanks for the link BP.