A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Need open source for FLV converter

Need open source for FLV converter

Hi All,

Can anyone help me in getting an open source where we can place in our website for converting video formats into FLV format online, when the user uploads a video.

Thanks

Just Coder
    My recent project was a video hosting website That is still being polished for front-end.
    The back-end was pure php, and mysql database. The very first time I restricted the video formats to wmv, mpg, avi, mov etc, but later I came to know through my client that he needs some more formats. He requested to let users upload FLV, as well as SWF files. This way I had to put different player for each knd of video and that was mess. So I decided to use some bridge between them, some converter that gets me final single format that I can use on my site. So I used ffmpeg that allows to convert the video formats to several formats at runtime and is good enough to convert large files.

Please check at http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/

Let me know if you need any help on switches and configuration

regards

I've also used ffmpeg for my video site project, but got some problems I don't know how to fix them....It took me 3 days but not succeeded. Thus I have to focus on other software and hope they can do it for me. But regretfully they are not free to use, like Video Encoder for Adobe Flash Command-Line Version at www.dvd-easy-workshop.com. I'm now taking experience on the trial version and did not get problems and I've already decided to place an order.
    Hope the information above also helps you.
    Cheers,
    Marie from Paris

Tomorrow is Another Day~~~~

Just Coder
    MEncoder is also one more free creation of a team from same site. That does almsot same job.

regards

Clarify

Hi Guys, I have just been reading through this thread as I was going to post the exact same question.

Im just researching the different software out there to convert various video formats into flash files and have the following questions! Would be very grateful if anyone can help me:

1) If I were to implement ffmpeg, can this be run on both Windows and Linux / unix servers? If it can only be run on Lin / unix would I need shell access to the server?

2) On the other hand if i were to purchase the *******media software mentioned above, does this do exactly the same thing ?i.e. upload a video through a website, convert then display as a flash file automatically?

3) Are there any other known open source progs / scripts out there?

Many thanks in advance,

lopster
    What we do in life echoes in eternity

Just Coder
    1. It works on *nix as well as on windows server. But about permissions and access you must ask the hostng company. On *nix server you jsut get ffmpeg installed and get going.

2. Flash has countless capabilities, and is tool for developing flash applications. You can call its conversion capability as one feature of it. It is an IDE and ffmpeg is a vide oconversion tool, so I dont see a base of comparison. Yes, I did that using php. It is possible to let user upload video, your script converts it to flv or swf and your player loads it.

3. I never saw any open ones, but writing one is fairly simple.

Search google for : exec ffmpeg -i "php"

regards
    Last edited by aliimran; 05-24-2007 at 01:35 AM.