A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Web 2.0 Sucks

Why Web 2.0 Sucks

I feel like I've gone on this rant before.

I'm not talking about technology, I'm talking about user generated content and the "architecture of participation", where everyone has a voice and can chime in to form trends and opinions. We've all seen the garbage on MySpace, the nonsense comments on YouTube...and worse yet people who post and respond in video on YouTube. Don't even get me started on spelling and punctuation. Apparently that's not part of the Web 2.0 ideology either.

But this...this takes the damn cake and swallows it whole. I was (for some awful unknown reason) perusing the user comments for the new Elliott Smith release on iTunes. I don't know what else I was expecting to find given the mall-dwelling, American Idol watching, spoiled brat, mouth-breathing demographic that buys regularly from there. (Emphasis mine, crap spelling original.):

"very good. I am new to artist but I think he is good. Not as good as Jack Johnson but similar style."

"he sings like he's mumbling nooooo vocals at al ughh i-tunes you made a biiig mistake[bunch of exclamation points]and...[more exclamation points]"

Remind me never to have kids.
    Last edited by PAlexC; 05-22-2007 at 12:31 AM.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

There are 20 angels in this world
    10 are sleeping
    9 are playing
    1 is reading this

put this on 4 threads within 15 mins,if u do, sum one u love will surprise u sum how!! If u don’t , u will lose ur love.!!

seriously now.
    I'm talking about user generated content and the "architecture of participation", where everyone has a voice and can chime in to form trends and opinions. We've all seen the garbage on MySpace, the nonsense comments on YouTube...and worse yet people who post and respond in video on YouTube. Don't even get me started on spelling and punctuation. Apparently that's not part of the Web 2.0 ideology either.
    How is this forum any different, and it was around long before "web 2.0". IRC, bulletin boards, itunes comments, it's all the same to me. Idiots are everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by PAlexC
    ...Elliott Smith
    ..."very good. I am new to artist but I think he is good. Not as good as Jack Johnson but similar style."
    What? He's not as good as Jack Johnson. And he didn't look as good in flip flops.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

The problem is people, too many of them out there that thinks they know better, but don't.

Fredi
    Mind Share Projects [ <- my latest projects ] [ my splash page -> ] Fredi Bach
    OS X Code (r,s) [ my Mac, web 2.0 and programming blog ]
    Not A Blog [ my personal weblog ]
    jMe Feed Aggregator [ my latest most famous project ]
    Web Command Line [ use the web like a real geek ]

Audience participation is always a bad thing. Entertain the brutes. Never allow the brutes a voice for fear of rampant mob ignorance.

YouTube is proof positive that short attention span applies to the audience, grammar ability as well as ability to complete a sentence.

And that's to whom your media will find an audience. The majority is a group of misspelling drama queens with an over-developed sense of self-worth because they do indeed "have a voice".

Goes back to yelling to the television because I am that much smarter than the people on television.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

My term for it is self inflated sense of entitlement. If only narcissism wasn't so rampant that most are afraid of being honest with themselves. "Time for an era of tough love." is my new mantra.

Web 2.0 is a small group of people sharing ideas and knowledge and large group of people sharing spam

Not related to the Web 2.0 arguement but...

Elliott Smith and Jack Johnson are similar, how? Oh, they play acoustic guitars so they must be the same. I'd say Smith and Dylan are comparable but that's a different matter.

The previously unreleased Elliott Smith stuff is better than anything Jack Johnson has ever released, and I do actually like quite a lot of Jack Johnson's stuff. Elliott was a genius. Yes, a genius.

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yasunobu13
    How is this forum any different, and it was around long before "web 2.0". IRC, bulletin boards, itunes comments, it's all the same to me. Idiots are everywhere.
    Forums and blogs are considered part of 2.0.

I should know, I've been to enough over-hyped conferences on 2.0 to write a book about the damn 'phenomenon'.

Funny that this only actually becomes a 'phenomenon' when marketing people said it should be.

Not like broadband, video delivery, blogging, posting, wikis, etc haven't been around for quite a few years now, but it's only recently they've been collectively known as Web 2.0.

It's branding simply for the sake of branding, which is quite amusing (while at the same time teeth-grindingly annoying), watching those who haven't got a clue about any of the individual channels wave 'Web 2.0!' in your face, beaming the smile of a child who has correctly completed the maths problem.

Frigging wannabes.

Grrr.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Quote Originally Posted by j_hunter182
    Not related to the Web 2.0 arguement but...

Elliott Smith and Jack Johnson are similar, how? Oh, they play acoustic guitars so they must be the same. I'd say Smith and Dylan are comparable but that's a different matter.

The previously unreleased Elliott Smith stuff is better than anything Jack Johnson has ever released, and I do actually like quite a lot of Jack Johnson's stuff. Elliott was a genius. Yes, a genius.
    I think the original comment was due to ignorance and stupidity. My "support" of this comment was glazed with sarcasm.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

user participation is sometimes great though

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Very-Best-Da...0011862&sr=8-1

check out the customer reviews

Genius

Give an idiot a platform and you have solid entertainment.
    Jerry Springer taught us this.

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    Jerry Springer at least gives us 8008135 once in a while...

Even when they are produced by whales, hippo's, rhinoceros's, and other strange evolutions of semi simian life forms...

hey. sometimes it just takes a female nipple to make the day that much better.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    hey. sometimes it just takes a female nipple to make the day that much better.
    Breast fetish?

Yes please!

Network Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    Goes back to yelling to the television because I am that much smarter than the people on television.
    That's why my wife won't let me watch TV anymore. Too much random cussing.

I knew I ain't the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by yasunobu13

How is this forum any different, and it was around long before "web 2.0". .
    It's down to the userbase.

Not sure but back in the day there were so many discussions and activity I was keen on participating in.... you would walk in here during work and get instantly hooked. It was all buzzing! Admittedly I haven't been around in awhile but it's all gone somewhat ugghhhh... Guess all good things have to come to an end sometime.
    Last edited by Aria; 05-28-2007 at 08:25 PM.
    We're médecins sans frontières. More about us here

No one on FK?

Everyone's on WhatshisFace, BoobTube and Bimbo.