A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: My new portfolio

My new portfolio

Hi! After many hours of work, I've made myself a new website/portfolio. If anybody would check it out and share their thoughts with me, that would be great!

http://www.magnusvs.net/mvsdesign/

All the content is loaded from a database, so it's quite easy to edit without using flash at all. I've also tried to make some nice details (e.g. when you're resizing the window or pressing one of the news topics on the front page).

Wow it's beautiful.

Here some of the things you should add:

• ASP
    • ASP.NET
    • Assembler
    • Basic
    • C#
    • C/C++
    • CFML
    • CGI/PERL
    • Delphi
    • Flash
    • HTML
    • Java
    • JavaScript
    • LISP
    • Pascal
    • PHP
    • Python
    • SQL
    • Visual Basic & VB.NET
    • XML

Also your folio is not working.
    Last edited by Neneko; 05-22-2007 at 03:59 PM.
    Per the Flashkit FAQ, allowable footer sizes at the maximum is 300 pixels wide by 40 pixels high.
    Not the 339 pixel wide by 156 pixel high image you had. Please follow the rules - gerbick (supermod)

Thanks! I won't say that I manage something that I don't:P
    Yes I haven't made the portfolio site yet. Have never done any jobs for money, so I don't have very much to put on it though

-_-
    That is damn awesome!
    I really like the clean feel of the site.

Ive been wondering if it is possible to make a small window navigation like this:

Instead of the banner on the top. But I really like the flash banner on the top.

The only small problem i see is when the user want to right-click.

Sorry my english is bad. (Japanese)
    Last edited by Neneko; 05-22-2007 at 04:24 PM.
    Per the Flashkit FAQ, allowable footer sizes at the maximum is 300 pixels wide by 40 pixels high.
    Not the 339 pixel wide by 156 pixel high image you had. Please follow the rules - gerbick (supermod)

Neneko: You might wanna check this out (or search for "right click menu flash"): http://www.developertutorials.com/tu...321/page1.html
    Adobemedia:Thanks

Is there a reason as to why you chose Maroon as your background? Its a very strong colour, too strong for a beautiful site, which this portfolio really is.

I like the animations and flow of the content.

However when I enlarge my window (1280x768), the content seem to be 'hanging' in the middle of the page (probably due to the navigation 'stuck' on top of the page), as compared to when I view the site in smaller resolutions (640x480) which makes it look perfect!

Nevertheless, I like it!

Thanks for your comments Googooboyy. The content are supposed to be centered all the time.

I made a simple background, with lighter colours, as you suggested

Beautiful!

[size]lost for words...[/size]

-_-
    I liked the red better.... alot. The blue seems too, well.... blue.
    It looks alright I guess, but the red looked a lot better to me.

Hi MagnusVS, good strong effort there. I would just like to point a few things I noticed. Keep in mind that my eye for design is rusty, and as always, the following comments are just my personal opinions of course.

I find the color of the background soothing and a decent choice. I like how the content area "shifts" to accommodate changes in the browser window size. An issue surfaces however at specific browser window sizes. That is, your text for "Test 1", "Test 2", and "Test 3" are white, and parts of your background are white, specifically the center. One specific window size that I'm having problems with is when the browser window is maximized on a 1280 x 1024 screen. The text for "Test 2" is difficult to read and the text for "Test 3" is completely invisible since it is the same color as the background. See the screen capture below:

I would recommend some way of highlight the text in order to help make the contrast between your text (perhaps a 1px light blue border, not quite sure?) and your background more clear. Note that this issue also occurs on the other pages:

and

I like how rolling over the photos highlights that specific one by reducing the saturation of the other ones. The transition and effects that occur after clicking on the photo are quite nice. Smooth, subtle, pleasing.

I would however now like to discuss the fonts used. I think the pixel fonts quite nice. The "serif" fonts on the subpages are also quite pleasing:

However, the main navigation "sans-serif" font don't seem to fit into the overall feel when the subpages are open:

They seem too "fat" and "sluggish" in comparison with the serif font and the pixel font. Perhaps it would be a advantageous idea to either choose use the sans-serif font to replace the serif font in the subpage titles or the other way around. Fewer fonts, cleaner and more balanced look is what I'm trying to get at. There comes the issue of course that the sans-serif font may be somewhat preferred since your main splash screen uses the sans-serif font for the title:

Speaking of the splash screen, I believe attention could be given to font choice as well there. As I was talking about previously, the contrast between a heavy sans-serif font and the pixel font may be too large (in terms of size). This balance is even more apparent since the two text colors are the same color (black). There is the possible suggestions of either removing the word "Norsk" (Norwegian) or changing the color of that text create a "classed" balance. That is, make the text for "Norsk" a slightly lighter gray (but not too light) than that of "Vie Sundal".

Also on the splash screen, it would be quite nice to have the logo or entire box "light up" (similar to how the photos get highlighted on the main page) when the mouse rolls over.

Those were just some things that I thought of. Hopefully that helps a little bit. Good luck and solid effort!

Regards,
    Venio
    Flash Kit Moderator . Duke University
    Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology

Thanks for good comments Venio!
    I am aware of the problem with the background yes, and I will try to find a solution! Good tips about the 1 px border around it
    Yes I think I will change the font of the main menu and the splash screen as I find the serif font nicer!
    I will also look into your advice about fading the splash screen.

Thanks again
    Magnus