A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Slaving hard-drives?

Slaving hard-drives?

My brother is buying a new PC and I have a few of my old files on it that I want so im going to slave the hard-drive. According to this tutorial:
    http://www.dtidata.com/resourcecente...ve-hard-drive/
    you should only use it for emergancies, why? Can't I just leave it in my pc for the extra HD space?

That's what I did in a spare machine. Just slaved the old HD off, kept the old files, made sure the BIOS knew to boot HDD0 and not HDD1 (the old, slaved drive), put my pagefile on the older drive, and moved the scratch disk over to the old drive so Photoshop doesn't yell at me for having the scratch on the same drive as the program either.

The key above... make sure the BIOS doesn't try to boot off the old drive.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

In data recovery it is NEVER a good idea to install, copy, surf the internet, reboot the machine, or do ANYTHING on the hard drive you are now trying to recover the data from.
    They're just saying don't do anything that will write to a drive that you are trying to recover lost data from.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. Carl Sagan

While ive got smart people on here, can I also ask this..
    Im trying to open a port on my PC, i've set the port open and end for in and outcoming to 43594. I've then opened it in mcAfee but for some reason it can't be accessed?
    Any Ideas?
    telnet myIP 43594
    Connecting To myIP...Could not open connection to the host, on po
    rt 43594: Connect failed

please. Help me.... Where is gerbs, E and genesis?

I may be wrong but I believe you can only open ports on a router.

You can make it so people can access somthing you have hosted on your PC, using JDK. Ive opened the ports on my router aswell.

Are the ports opened for the local IP Address the computer was assigned by the router?

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. Carl Sagan

what is JDK? Ive only opened ports on my router..LINKSYS..usually a snap to do.

as far as slaving HD's its a no brainer.. make sure the jumpers are set corredctly on the back.. and (as mentioned) your BIOS is set properly to see both HD's.

People have more than 1 HD all the time... so slaving a HD is NOT some naughty mystery... it normal to do.

random said it accurately earlier... it's all about writing to the slave hard drive if you have the intent of backing it up.

as far as the ports... the Windows Firewall is more than likely the culprit. Also, you might want to make sure that telnet is even allowed. I always disable that service/ability in my installs due to it being a hole in the security of an OS. That and the posix.dll's as well as other cross OS issues.

Make sure you're allowing telnet access out of the firewall.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]