A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [F8] Animated gif looks ugly???

Computer.Internet Addict cturner's Avatar

[F8] Animated gif looks ugly???

I am trying to create an animation with some products that my client has. When I create the animated gif in Flash 8 the photos look ugly. I have attached the animated gif to this post. Can someone please tell me how I can make the photos look better? Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am using: Adobe Creative Suite 3 Web Premium and Windows XP.

GIFs only use 256 colors (compared to over 16 million with most other formats) so when you convert photographs to GIFs a lot of color information is lost. There's not much you can do other than use something other than GIFs if possible.

Yes, Schfifty Five is right... GIFs are limited to 256 colors palette only.

However, if you play with options a little bit, you'll be able to achieve better results. Not in Flash though because its export method doesn't allow you to change anything regarding animated gif's option... or very little.

I will try to explain in an easiest to understand way possible... hope I'll succeed.

I do all my animated GIFs in Fireworks. At the end, when you have to export your file, make sure its palette is set to EXACT , and you put a checkmark next to DITHER option (see attached image):

That will enable 256 (actually 255 colors) but with better looking transitions (read: smoother) between highly contrasted colors.

These are original photos using 16.8 millions of colors:

And this is the final result... animated GIF (256 colors, dithering enabled):

Hope this helps a bit

Best Regards!
    :: ONLINE PORTFOLIO :: web site (Flash version 7 required, recommended screen resolution: at least 1024x768 pixels)

:: SASHA-Z-CREATIONS :: web site