A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Help With FSCOMMAND (arg: EXEC) Please

Help With FSCOMMAND (arg: EXEC) Please

Pretty much as I've said. I need to do some things in SwishMax, then exit to start a full-screen slideshow (Proshow Gold). So, it seems I need to use the FSCommand with argument "exec" and the name of the exe program (JK.EXE). According to help, it only does this command in the standalone projector, whcih I exported. I can't get it to execute the JK.EXE. Even if I put both programs in the same folder (or even use the fully-qualified path to the JK.EXE).

I've gotten "getURL" to work fine but having a problem switching to another program (which needs to be seamless if possible).

Thanks in advance for help. (sweating a deadline to have this show ready for 150 governor-appointed commissioners from 23 states the first week in June... groan...)

Hi,

Flash player security has pretty much killed fscommand due to what macromedia felt at the time posed security risks.

When you use swishmax to export an exe the swishmax environment uses the flash player for conversion.
    The only way around that is to get a third party swf>exe conversion tool
    Be it SwishStudio2 or several other apps
    http://www.swishzone.com/index.php?a...o&tab=overview

Flashkit also has a forum dedicated to Standalone apps
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=15
    Featuring other swf>exe tools

We have a forum here devoted to Standalone and apps

Ugh, Frets!

GRRRRRRR...

I'll investigate BUT, I was hoping to keep my costs low.

Yes, through a lawsuit with Microsoft vs Macromedia (Adobe), it became necessary for interactive Flash output to be clicked on once (to remove the dashed line around it AND make it available/active). What I didn't think would happen would be that there would also be a problem calling another EXE from SWF file. If anything, it would direct you to the website to adjust your Flash security settings.

But, I get nothing from the FSCommand. As if it's impotent.

I may look into a batch file but I also see there is a problem running a SWISHMAX generated SWF in full-screen. It's hard to believe that there are so many problems still.

Thanks for the links. I have investigated. Still deciding BUT, may resort to doing all the lettering in ProShowGold (even though it doesn't offer the easy text manipulation/effects Swish does).

Hi.

Calling an exe from an swf posed a security risk long before Eolas/Microsoft "Click to activate"

Most swf to exe software comes with a 15day trial.

Quote Originally Posted by Frets
    Hi.

Calling an exe from an swf posed a security risk long before Eolas/Microsoft "Click to activate"

Most swf to exe software comes with a 15day trial.
    Hi (back atcha)

So, if I understand, you're saying that using SwishMax to export to the projector isn't a true EXE file? That it just imbeds the player around around the SWF or something?

And if the SWF ---> EXE 3rd party apps actually convert it to some sort of "true" EXE, that the FSCommand (with arg: EXEC) will call another EXE file?

Thanks for your time

Hi,

Yes.
    Most swf>exe programs also offer extended fscommands as well as packing features (dependencies in S Studio2) The also offer skins etc etc.

The process is
    -export your swf in swishmax then import the swf in SStudio2
    -add dependencies
    -then publish to executable.

We (I work for SWiSHzone) have several tutorials inside Studio2 as well as online
    http://www.swishzone.com/index.php?a...page&cat_id=17

Several other programs have similar features however I'm not as familiar with them.
    Northcode (moderater in Standalone and Applications) also has a fine product similarly named SWF Studio
    http://northcode.com/