A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Need graphic artists - any takers?

I Need graphic artists - any takers?

Hello, I was just looking for a few graphic artists to help me with the games I develop. You can view some of my past work here:
    Click Here

Basically, I can do any and all the programming. I just need a few good designers to help improve the graphics in the future games I will be making. I work for free, and my work is for no other purpose than fun, and entertainment. (and of course bragging rights) Anway, I have some really good game concepts I would like to pursue.

If you would be interested in helping out, send me an email at: bigtieso@gmail.com

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    Hi,

Although some graphic artists hang out on the games forum, you might want to also try the Art, Animation & Illustration as well.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I am just so used to posting in game section, I completely forgot about the other available sections. If I don't find anyone to help in this post, I will try the one you mentioned.

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    You mean there's other forums besides the games forum?
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

I would, but I'm better at making completely random things. If I actually try, it usually turns out bad... :(

Now tell me whos watchin...... samvillian's Avatar
    i have some cool stuff i made in flash but i really dont want to do this because i got school..... school ends on the 12th..... finals are a bigtch......

http://img394.imageshack.us/my.php?image=beakerps6.swf

http://img376.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ninja2mu3.swf

dont push up on that last one.... yeah... i did somin weird....

Wow, I got out of school on May 24th
    That's like, a 19 day difference
    Finals are a Big TCH eh?

Anyways, if you're expecting a laid back game development with absolutely no deadline, then you might recieve artwork the same way.

I suppose you are right. It just sucks to live in a very small town, and I am the only one around for miles that even knows what a computer is. I was hoping with such a great pool of talent at flashkit, I could find a few good men. My summer from school started a few weeks ago, and I was hoping to work on a few projects. The deadline being the end of the summer, or so. My three main projects are:

Oregon Trail
    A remake to the classic Oregon Trail. Setting Independence to Oregon in 2007. Instead of a wagon, you get a car. Kind of the like the movie, RoadTrip. Only funny. You can hunt, but instead of the woods, you would hunt in town and have to shoot around children playing and the busy life of the city. Points would be racked up in the hunting scene, much more than the original. Oh, and the game would be hooked up to mySQL / PHP. So, you could save the ten most recent gravestones online, as well as the top scores.

Deadliest Catch - Multiplayer
    I was hoping on recreating the popular tv show in flash. Similar to an RPG. But not so indepth. You choose between a crab boat, a police boat, a rescue boat, or a submarine. Parties would be made up of a combo of the four.

Crab boats are to catch the crab, by dropping pots and letting them soak in the ocean. Your boat would have a maxium allowed limited. Based on your level and exp. You may exceed it. However, if policeboat catches you doing so, you have to dump your crab.
    The policeboat would have the job of catching other teams that are overfishing or are stealing pots from other players.
    The rescue boat could save people when there boats overturn do to weather.
    The submarine boat could attempt to sink other players and steal pots.

The game would be hooked up to mySQL / PHP and would be completely multiplayer. The ocean would be a large array stored on the server. And as areas of the map became over fished, it would be reflected in the game, and the database.

Gasoline Tycoon
    The map is the USA, with each state as a button.
    When you click a state, you bring up the states counties.
    You start out with another computer player owning a monopoly in every county in the usa.
    You have to balance price, quality, etc... To outdue the competetor, and monopolize the gasoline industry.

---------------
    As I said before, the coding is not a problem. I just wish I could find a few good men to design the graphics for me!

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by imarkham
    I suppose you are right. It just sucks to live in a very small town, and I am the only one around for miles that even knows what a computer is. I was hoping with such a great pool of talent at flashkit, I could find a few good men. My summer from school started a few weeks ago, and I was hoping to work on a few projects. The deadline being the end of the summer, or so. My three main projects are:

Oregon Trail
    A remake to the classic Oregon Trail. Setting Independence to Oregon in 2007. Instead of a wagon, you get a car. Kind of the like the movie, RoadTrip. Only funny. You can hunt, but instead of the woods, you would hunt in town and have to shoot around children playing and the busy life of the city. Points would be racked up in the hunting scene, much more than the original. Oh, and the game would be hooked up to mySQL / PHP. So, you could save the ten most recent gravestones online, as well as the top scores.

Deadliest Catch - Multiplayer
    I was hoping on recreating the popular tv show in flash. Similar to an RPG. But not so indepth. You choose between a crab boat, a police boat, a rescue boat, or a submarine. Parties would be made up of a combo of the four.

Crab boats are to catch the crab, by dropping pots and letting them soak in the ocean. Your boat would have a maxium allowed limited. Based on your level and exp. You may exceed it. However, if policeboat catches you doing so, you have to dump your crab.
    The policeboat would have the job of catching other teams that are overfishing or are stealing pots from other players.
    The rescue boat could save people when there boats overturn do to weather.
    The submarine boat could attempt to sink other players and steal pots.

The game would be hooked up to mySQL / PHP and would be completely multiplayer. The ocean would be a large array stored on the server. And as areas of the map became over fished, it would be reflected in the game, and the database.

Gasoline Tycoon
    The map is the USA, with each state as a button.
    When you click a state, you bring up the states counties.
    You start out with another computer player owning a monopoly in every county in the usa.
    You have to balance price, quality, etc... To outdue the competetor, and monopolize the gasoline industry.

---------------
    As I said before, the coding is not a problem. I just wish I could find a few good men to design the graphics for me!
    "The game would be hooked up to mySQL / PHP and would be completely multiplayer.

You keep saying this, multiplayer isn't all about mySQL and PHP, it also impliments a good socket server like electroserver. Find webgeek around here and check his signature for a link...

In case you were aware of that, I must have just read your post wrong. Of course you could probably pull of a turn based engine with php/mySQL alone. Heck, you might even be able to do it with solely php.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

Yes, I know "hooked up to" is alittle difficult to understand. Actually, I thought of an idea I am surpirsed isn't used more often in flash games. Rather than coding sockets and such. Just use:
    a mySQL database
    a php page read page
    a php page write page

This would work just like highscores already does in flash. Also, mySQL and php are fairly decent for speed, so a turn-based type game or a one second interval ticker would be possible.

Then all you really need is a few tables:
    Member table
    Name
    Pass
    Extra Info

Coordinate Table
    Name
    X
    Y
    Speed

You could read in the coordinates, then have flash update and draw the charactors as the become in the field of view. I am not sure if this is possible. Although, I find it probable. Considering highscores already function in this manner. If infact it does work, it could be a way to create flash multiplayers minus the huge server-side expenses (google for flash multi-conn hosts if you dont know what I am talking about)

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    Well, chats work that way, so it is possible. Right now the only way I can do it, is a bit like you describe it, because I have a webhotel, that doesn't support neither java or sockets in general, so you have to find clever ways around it!?

I would love to hear some pros and cons from people who are more experienced with both ways (webgeek and the likes ), though I know it's not what the threads about!?

Anyway, imarkham, it's definitely possible from the tests I've made
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

I've posted a big blog entry on the problems with polling and some of the work-arounds.

http://mikegrundvig.blogspot.com/200...-to-avoid.html

Here, I thought I had come up with some new, revolutionary way to work with flash. I thought that by doing this, people could avoid the huge costs of flash servers. (Which are ridiculously priced) I should have figured that this has been done before. Thanks for the link, I will definatly be taking a look at that. It seems simple enough in theory. However, I am sure once you get down to it, there is much more involved.

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    Thanks Mike
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

Wow, interesting article! It appears you have already put much more thought into this than I have. I wonder if there isn't a working example. I will do some more research into the load and lag of doing such a game. Actually, I am alittle confused. I thought PHP and mySQL were built to handle multiple requests already. Rather than reinventing the wheel with handling requests, I assume mySQL can take care of this. (as far as two or more people accessing the same database table at the same time) Although, I do see some benefit to what you were discussing. The http header is huge, I didnt anticipate that factor. I was kind of thinking that keeping the bulk of the script client-side would be the best strategy. Working off the ideas of tonypa.

A map
    -------

If you kept the map local, then the database only really needs a few elements:
    playerID
    x
    y
    speed

With this information, you should be able to poll the info, then have flash draw the charactor. However, to reduce polling, you would only need to poll at all, if the other player is within site. Using a tile-based game, you could say however many tiles are in visible sight.

I was also thinking (in relationship to the game idea I had, "deadliest catch"), when a player drops a pot, if you did store the map on the database, you could have the pot poll the database to see if the tile was overfished, if it had crab, or if it were barren. Something like this:

Crab Map

Then, if I planted a pot on tile 0,3. I would have the client-script poll the db every few minutes.

First poll

Second poll

Third poll

No problem phreax Polling comes up occasionally so I figured a post on it would be helpful.

I thought that by doing this, people could avoid the huge costs of flash servers. (Which are ridiculously priced)
    I think you will find that in practice they are reasonably priced. In fact, the only group I've ever had complain about the price of ElectroServer is here on FlashKit. We even offered to give away licenses AND hosting of the server to people that made a multiplayer game about 2 years ago. Lots of takers but not a single group ever finished. At that point I came to realize that cost isn't what keeps people from making socket-server-based multiplayer games even though they will use that as the excuse.

Rather than reinventing the wheel with handling requests, I assume mySQL can take care of this. (as far as two or more people accessing the same database table at the same time) Although, I do see some benefit to what you were discussing.
    mySQL can handle lots of concurrent requests but they all take time. With all the people polling so frequently, you will be hitting your database with many concurrent requests. This will cause "locking" and slow things down even more. Sure, it will work fine for a few people but it will die under load. That's why you need to keep everything in memory. The more in memory, the faster it will be.

First off, to Web Geek:
    I am sorry if you thought I was slamming ElectroServer. I think ALL flash servers are overpriced. Not just yours. (I didnt even know you were affiliated with Electroserver. I suppose that makes sense why you plugged them in your blog then). I think it is cool you offer at the least a free version. You are the first I have seen do so. However, I do not think server-side flash will never tuely take off untill it is offered at no cost. Just like php, or asp, or any other major server-side language. Question...How am I a programmer, ever to learn how to use it if it costs me $1000 a month to test and work with it. It is not going to happen. So, in the long run, people airnt learning these materials because they cost to much. If I were in charge, I would say free server-side flash for everyone. It should be included with webhosting plans.

Secondly, I had an idea to correct the load issue you described. I was thinking of a token-based system. Where instead of random polls happening by every player, you could do some sort of check to see who holds the token to poll the database. Ofcourse the only problem to this it that you would have to poll the db to know if you owned the token.

I was thinking if I could get a multi to work in php/mySQL. I could provide the tutorials of how it is accomplished. Far beyond the scope of simple highscores. As long as the game has less than 1000 players, I don't see any big problems. If this can be accomplished, developers could make multiplayers for around $6-$8 a month instead of 1000 User License for $1599 a month. Personally, I think it is worth it, to at the least attempt it.

Quote Originally Posted by imarkham
    I think it is cool you offer at the least a free version. You are the first I have seen do so.
    SmartFoxServer also offers a free version (20 user).

...around $6-$8 a month instead of 1000 User License for $1599 a month.
    Where do you see that the cost is "per month"? My understanding is a one time fee for the license.

Battlespace,
    Sorry, you are right. ElectroServer 3 says "Licenses are a one time fee." I didnt catch that fine print. However, most flash hosts charge by month.

Here is a link to some of the outragous prices I am talking about:

https://secure1.influxis.com/wwwroot...dedicated.aspx

I think all the good multiplayer servers are underpriced, I just wish I was richer. As someone who has used several of the available commercial servers and also rolled my own, I promise you that it is far cheaper to invest in the technology, unless you're not serious about running a business.
    Company Website: http://www.urbansquall.com
    Flash Dev Blog: http://www.gamepoetry.com