A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: open battle : make a movie poster

you mean that i was quite some time since i posted anything on this forum? well that's true but hey... whats "time" in sci-fi country he?
    [M]
    Last edited by meart; 06-20-2007 at 05:40 AM.

meart,

That image is dope! Nice composition and colors (well color)!

With skillz like that, you should be posting more often!

-Sandy

anyone else hear that? flashpipe1's Avatar
    Yeah, I love the distorted alien hand and the gradient blends up the page...

Very nice!
    Love like you've never been hurt, live like there's no tomorrow and dance like nobody's watching.

A couple of critiques for the last couple of images... if you guys don't mind.

Flashpipe1... cool concept. You could have made the people fit better into the picture if you had changed the type of shadow and perhaps overlaid bits of garbage around their feet, thus solidifying their stance on the ground. It looks like they're floating. Also, your choice of fonts - the colors work great - could have been a bit bolder and broader. Also, be careful of the lighting of your stock and your images when compositing. The shadows on the stuff behind the people don't quite match your image. And finally, be careful of fringe pixels when masking. A few fringe pixels on the edges of the legs help distance the composition from blended to what looks like a blatant overlay. But the composition still works... just a few nitpicks to fully flesh it out.

meart... love the image and the type... love the choice... but in true nitpick fashion... the line below "The Touch" is too thick - it counters the rest of the layout - and the fact that "The Touch" could have been one line instead of two, that might have worked out in your favor still. The use of space to create tension works very well though. And the addition of the logos across the bottom are also great - be careful with the Wacom one though... on my monitor it's a bit lighter than the background. Also, there's a 3-4 pixel gradient on the edge of the image. Intentional? Either way, great composition on your image.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

not going to crit because Mr Gerbs did it.

Love yours meart! So pretty!

anyone else hear that? flashpipe1's Avatar
    Gerbs,

Thanks for the feedback! Good stuff! It was a bit thrown together, after the baby fell asleep and before I did, so I didn't get to the details (the fringe pixels & shadows), but I didn't even think of some things like the trash around the feet...nice one.

Any tips on changing the lighting within the images to get them to match better?? Haven't thought much about that...would you use the Photoshop Filter->Render->Lighting Effects or would you just play with the brightness & contrast??

Thanks for the input!! Fun and learning...what a concept...
    Love like you've never been hurt, live like there's no tomorrow and dance like nobody's watching.

Honestly? It's easier to match photos and stocks a lot of the time than it is to overlay and alter shadows and highlights without making it look bad on portions that you composite with. Careful choice always wins.

But yes... you can alter RGB curves and balance to change the overall hues within an image. Also, by using overlays and multiples you can alter the lighting in smaller degrees to make it match better... adding fake shadows and fake highlights and then masking them out properly.

It can be more work that way, but we've all done it from time to time.

Thanks for the feedback Gerbick, really helpfull and i agree on every point! The font could do without the outline and the line underneath is indeed a bit thick. Those things come to the surface when you let the process rest for a bit, but in this case i really rushed things. I made the thing in less than an hour, so maybe that explains the lack of finish. Next time i will spent some time on detail.

Looking forward to the next image.
    Cheerz [M]

i got epic nxt. should be in by the weekend

next: romantic thriller

Despite a bit of pixelation on the leg and arms... that's pretty damn nice Jujumon. Would have loved to have seen the girl in real color with a splash of red coming from the sword, the faked particles ere done well... and the choice of title type... spot on.

Just lacking a bit of contrast, but it adds to the cohesiveness of the layout.

Nice one Jujumon! I love the composition and mood of the image. Although i can find myself in the comments of Gerbick (he should become a teacher

thanks for the crits. i should have work on those pixelations more now that i see it. In the beginning i had her in full color but it was difficult for me to create the red glows on her body and it looked like 'fake' glow so much that i decided to go duo tone instead.

and thanks, gerbick, for the type comment. it really gives me a confident boost because normally im pretty weak on selecting and designing type faces.

...so who's gonna go next!??

Can I have next i"m feeling the designs i have been viewing.
    Last edited by thedarkness; 06-26-2007 at 03:11 PM.
    "What do you call a mouse's Shadow in the second moon?"

Can I have next I'm feeling the designs I have been viewing.

Late on the crit, but I just wanted to say that I loved your text treatment and composition, Juju!

Darkness, I can't wait for your volley!

-Sandy

Here you go peoples im pretty satisfied with it!

By gittech at 2007-06-28

Imageshack is slowing up, I had to refresh to see the pic.
    Its nice, looks more like a romantic horror tho Nice work, like the Japanese symbols.
    P.s. you have to specify the next topic....
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

Yeah, I'd like to see the 'black out' stand out a little more, but that's quite nice. A step up from your last submission.

How about the next genre?
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Nice work Darkness, I like this image on first sight. Its very dark but i guess that has something to do with the author(?) On the other hand if i saw this hanging on a wall and would know nothing about it, I would suspect it was some sort of japanese horror movie or mech-warrior stuff. Maybe because romance is often associated with human emotions, and that part is lacking in this image. Its most of all ....dark. Technically its done well.

Whats the next genre? [M]