dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: flash player slowing down

flash player slowing down

I'm having kind of a weird problem with the flash player. I recently was having a performance problem with a game I'm working on where after playing for a while, it suddenly would slow down to about half the normal framerate. I searched for the bug for a while, but then I noticed it was happening with lots of other people's flash games too, even though the same problems don't occur on other computers. So I think somehow the Flash player is now having some kind of problem specific to my computer. Here's the symptoms:

-As I run the flash, my CPU usage keeps going up but the performance stays the same until it hits a sudden, major slowdown.
    -If I've played a flash until the player slows down, then I close it and open another one shortly, the new one will run slow, too. If I wait a while, it will start out normal.
    -This is just a guess, but it appears that flash that has to redraw a lot every frame is having this problem the most. I have a couple of games that don't change a lot each frame that don't have any problems.

Anyway, I know this is kind of ambiguous, but I'm really hoping someone will recognize these symptoms and know what's wrong. Please let me know if you have any guesses as to what's slowing down the flash player, it's become very difficult to develop when I can't run my own games at full speed for more than 30 seconds :P

thanks,
    Max

Are you running in a browser or standalone player?

How much memory do you have...are the games large?

If you are using flash 8 have you tried with flash 7?

Just a few questions to try to give a better picture of what is happening.

mike

hey, thanks for responding. The problem occurs in a browser and standalone player alike. I have 1GB of memory and the games aren't that big, so I don't think it's thrashing. I have flash player 9 installed, but I've also tried it with a flash 8 projector.

One thing that interested me when I was trying to figure out just what's going on is that actionscript execution actually seems to slow down. I incremented a variable 10k times in a tight loop and timed it with getTimer(), and found that after the sudden slowdown I described, even this bit of code took twice as long. The only explanation I can come up with for that is that actionscript execution is just not getting as much time on the processor, either because the scheduler just doesn't like it for some reason or because another Flash thread is hogging the CPU (I don't know about flash internals, but maybe there's a separate drawing thread or something?) I certainly can't think of a reason why incrementing a local variable in a loop would take a significantly variable amount of time :P

It's so weird, I sent my game to some friends to see if it was working smoothly for them just to make sure I'm not completely delusional here, but it came out ok even on older computers than mine, which is relieving but also makes no sense to me.

Yep weird.....

Have you got/ tried process explorer (sysinternals)
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sExplorer.mspx

might be worth monitoring wots happening when the slowdown occurs.

mike