dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Best Method to import emails into Flash

Best Method to import emails into Flash

Ok, sorry for the almost identical thread; i've put a lot of research into developing this code, but severely need help. The result I'm looking for is to get the text of each email from a POP3 server into Flash.

An acceptable solution would be to use a different language to retrieve and send to Flash, however this is the part I'm having trouble with -- specifically retrieving mail. I've tried to use Perl, C++ and PHP; this is the part I would be most appreciative for help.

Sending the emails to Flash should be an easy solution. I can simply dump them into a text file and parse it myself within Flash.

Please help me......... It seems all the guides I've come across make this task out to be very simple, but I'm having trouble getting a working solution

Appreciative as always,
    jtnw

Hi,

it is probably simple
    Things to watch out:
    - perl and php have a tendency to collect output, where you actually need to exchange lines.
    - a mail client normally connects andd then stays connected. A web application should not do that - your solution would connect, retrieve all headers, and quit; or would connect, retrieve one message, and quit. You would not be happy with a provider that limits mail checking to once in 5 minutes
    - unless this is a dedicated mailbox, I would not underestimate the effort of parsing the mail; the server script should determine whether the message is text only, text+html, or html only (and in the text+html case, whether both seem to convey the same message)

Musicman

thanks for the insight musicman; I've already considered many of these options.

I was having trouble with perl because I am not in a server environment. I have never used perl so I still don't know if it would work in this situation. It needs to be able to run in a desktop environment.

Basically, I'm looking to code an executable (for windows) which dumps messages into a text file. I will have no problem importing that into flash and turning it into an array.

Could you advise a sufficient programming language to accomplish the task, and help me get started (if your well versed in that area).

Much appreciated,

jtnw

Hi,

perl does a good job on the desktop as well.
    Perl for windows is available from activestate.com

Musicman