A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Screen Saver Quit on Escape

Screen Saver Quit on Escape

I've tried Creator, Bitbull, and some other applications for making screen saver packages out of my projector file. What I want though is to disable alt-tab, windows button...pretty much i want nothing to ever gain focus over the screen saver when it's playing.

Those programs as well as others have some feature usually named "Interactive Saver" to allow that.

My problem is that I want the ESC button to work and to be the only way to exit the system. I cannot place a button on the saver to click on because the client does not want that. They are adamant that ESC be the only allowable button to be enabled during screensaver "playback".

I can't figure out for the life of me how to do this. The client insists their old screen savers allowed this as well as even disabling cntrl-alt-del.

Anyone know which program or anything else I should be doing to achieve essentially:

- Disabling of all keys except for ESC (which allows exit/quit of screen saver app.)

- Bonus: Disabling of Task Manager upon Cntrl-Alt-Del.

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    I know SWF Studio will let you do that, because I wrote it

The ScreenSaver settings allow you to disable mouse clicks and mouse moves as ways to exit the screensaver and the Application settings use the ESC key as the default exit key. You can disable that, or change it to another key or key combination using the settings on that page.

When the system starts the screensaver the default task switching keys should be disabled based on the security settings. When you run the screensaver in test mode (by right clicking on the SCR file or starting it from the Display Properties dialog) that's not the case. I created a little utility called saver (EXE download) to start screensavers like this system does, to give you a better way to test your screensavers. When you run saver.exe, it starts the installed screensaver.
    Last edited by Northcode; 06-19-2007 at 12:25 PM.

Haha. Small world. About an hour or 2 after my initial post I came across SWF Studio and tried out the trial which indeed did just that!

I showed the bosses and quickly got approval to make the purchase.

Happy day for you and I both, I guess, huh!

Quick question. When making the .scr's I discovered that if you compile them with a one-word name, right-click > Install does not work, i.e., the screen saver does not show up in the Display Properties > Screen Saver dropdown list and instead a blank. If I alter the filename to include a space so that it is two words or more, the right-click/install procedure works.

We told the client this and because of some "standard" of theirs, it must be a one-word name.

Any suggestions?

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    The same thing happens with any screensaver I try on my XP SP2 system. I took a copy of ssbezier.scr (ships with Windows) out of C:\Windows\System32 and renamed it to test and it didn't show up when I right clicked on it and tried Install. When I renamed it to "ss bez.scr" then it showed up. So it looks like it's not the screensaver, but something in Windows.