dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Photoshop CS3 - Selection, Expand ??

Hybrid View

An Englishman in Frankfurt Jimbrowski's Avatar

Photoshop CS3 - Selection, Expand ??

Hi all.....

I'm creating a composite image of a "guitar studio" (some of you may remember from a few weeks ago when you guys helped me with the perspective on the keyboard image ??).

This week i've upgraded to CS3, and i'm adding rectangular borders to portrait photos of "guitar heroes" to adorn the walls of the studio.

Simple huh....cmnd+click on the portrait layer to create the selection, then choose Select - Modify - Expand to increase the selection by an exact pixel amount......then fill a new layer below the portrait.

How come CS3 gives me round corners to my expanded selection ?? never used to before !! have i got some pesky "rounded corners" button checked somewhere ?? i can't bloody find it !!

Can you guys try it and let me know if it's just me please ??

Cheers
    Jimmy

I get rounded corners in CS2... If you work out how to get rid of it let me know!

No way to fix that, I'm afraid. That's just what happens when you expand a selection. It's exactly the same when you expand a shape in Flash. The same happens in reverse when you contract a selection. If you had a selection that contained rounded corners with a ten pixel radius and then contracted it by ten or more pixels then you would end up square corners.

I know it can be kind of a pain sometimes, but you just learn to work with it. For instance, if you have a design that makes use of successively smaller (or larger) shapes...like an interface with various bevels...then you would start out by creating the selection shape at it's largest size. Any rounded corners will get progressively smaller and square corners will remain square.

Now that you are where you are though, one way to get a selection with an even border on a rectangular shape is to first hit F8 to bring up the Info Panel then with the Marquee Tool active, right-click and select 'Transform Selection'. You can then hold down the ALT key which keeps the transformation uniform on either side that you drag on, and expand the selection on the top and side by the same amount.

There are other ways to go about it, but that's a pretty quick way to sort things out.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

That's cool.....no worries......thanks guys......i transformed (+ alt + shift) once i realised i was getting these rounded corners.....

I could have sworn that it didn't happen before. However, maybe i've never used the expand selection method on exact rectangles before and confused myself with (scale - duplicate - etc) in Illustrator

Either way, i'll post the "guitar studio" image once completed......still a little way to go right now.

Jimmy
    Last edited by Jimbrowski; 06-20-2007 at 03:41 PM.

Just keep in mind that Alt+Shift won't result in perfectly even borders if you use it on a rectangular selection.

Shift > Constrains horizontal and vertical scaling to proportional. If you pull down on the lower right corner of the transform gizmo, the object/selection will scale uniformly from the upper left corner.

Alt+Shift> If you hold these keys while scaling in the manner above the result is the same, but it transforms from the center of the selection.

Alt > If you just hold down Alt and scale in the manner above you get non-uniform scaling from the center of the selection. HOWEVER...if you hold down the Alt key and scale from one of the sides rather than one of the corners, you get uniform scaling along only the axis that you are pulling on. So if you drag the right side of the transform gizmo for instance, you will get uniform scaling on the left. THIS is what you would want to do while looking at the Info Panel with both the sides and the top/bottom of the gizmo to make sure your border is exactly the same on all sides by adding the same amount to each one.

btw, I'm not yelling at you with the caps...I just wanted that part to stand out nice and clearly.

I look forward to seeing your completed image.
    mrush

I'm taking my own sweet time as i'm juggling this project with learning German full-time here in sunny Berlin

Once i'm done, i may need a bit of help getting the individual elements to sit more realistically with one another if that's ok.....i'll keep you posted.

Congrats on passing the 5,000 posts mark there RUSHVision....did you get a cake with candles, or a crappy old clock, or what ??

All i can offer is a

Jimmy

Yeah, learning German should keep you busy. No sweat on the additional help. If I can, I will.

Thanks, I'm afraid that doughnut is the only thing I've received so far. No, that's not entirely true. Now that I think about it, Phillip Morris did send me a free ashtray the other day.
    mrush