A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Graphic Problems w. PDF

Graphic Problems w. PDF

I have a simple logo that I need to place into a PDF; however, I'm running into the problem that when user's open a PDF, the default is 150% zoom, at this zoom my graphic shows up extremely pixelated. I am by no means an expert in the graphic area and was wondering how I can go about creating a version of this logo which would not become pixelated when zoomed in on a PDF file? I have attached the logo so you can see what image I am using.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    mmm signature

PDF creation varies on what type of distribution or use you'd be using that file.
    Also depending on what program you are using to create your pdf's your options are sometimes limited to "web" pdf's. Also you have to remember that most "screen settings" will give you a pixelated edge.

If you are using an external pdf publisher I'm going to suggest you download a program called Primo PDF, http://www.primopdf.com/. Its smaller than adobe versions and just as good.
    I use it for programs like word etc. It gives you a wide variety of settings to choose from as well as allows you to enhance certain appearance settings on export. Just read through the publish settings.

If you or another designer need to work on said pdf export to "for print" quality, this will give you a standard 300 dpi resolution setting which will give anyone who has to extract that image for re-rendering a nice clean image.

Thanks a ton for the quick response Natsia! Well I'm using Adobe InDesign 2.0, this is almost exclusively PDF's that will be viewed on the screen. I'm guessing there has to be a way to make an unpixelated, when zoomed in, circle with text in and outside of it. I have been examining a bunch of PDF's recently and have found a fair amount that when zoomed in the graphics on the page don't appear pixelated at all. It looks 100% fine when at 100% zoom but anything above that it starts to look very unprofessional. I've been messing around with the publish settings but I'm not getting anything to work =/ Maybe JPEG isnt best way? Maybe something with vectors is possible? Any insight?

Thanks in advance,

ChaseNYC
    mmm signature

when you place the logo into InDesign, is it above 72dpi (normal screen resolution)?

Usually, zooming above 100% will produce pixilization.

When you're distilling your IDesign document, are you changing your settings so that you're not compressing the image too far? any images placed will be compressed...also make sure you're not distilling at a low quality.

I'm betting though, that it's the original image itself when placed in InDesign that's causing the problem

EDIT: did you create the logo in Illustrator? if so, i believe you should be saving it as an EPS and then placing it in InDesign. Don't save as a JPG or your vectors will rasterized, rendering them useless to zooming/enlarging.
    Last edited by lefteyewilly; 06-25-2007 at 04:25 PM.

Thanks lefteye, well I created it in photoshop, I'm completely illiterate in Illustrator but I'll check around with the advice you gave me... Hopefully this will work. Thanks so much!

ChaseNYC
    mmm signature

InDesign eh?
    Have you tried Distiller? App Patch specifically for rendering PDF's. One of my mates recommended it to me and is always raving about the quality of his pdf's, but mind you, he uses them mainly for print purposes.

I think the pixelation you're experiancing comes mainly from adobe Pdf's display. I'd be more worried about how the document pixelates when you open it up in other applications. If you extract it in InDesign does it do the same? If so, I'd have to say its probably your resolution settings on pdf publish.

in design also doens't like JPGs very much. As above try EPSs or TIFFs...although, like Nats friend, i only use InDesign for print.

InDesign also works well with PNG's if absolutely necessary... I also only use InDesign for print work...

Christopher Mitchell
    "All men are equal. All men, that is, who possess umbrellas."
    E.M. Forster