dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: source for compiled clips? (they're bloating my swf!)

participant

source for compiled clips? (they're bloating my swf!)

I added a contact form to my site from a demo linked to by this site. It's great and actually gives the writer some feedback f their message was sent, but it uses three compiled clips that add 150K to my swf!

(also I'm unsure why my preloader won't start until they're loaded, even though I didn't check "export on first frame," instead putting them in an unseen second frame)

While I understand they're nice and modular, I can't believe they're so large for how simple they appear. Is there any way I can create identical components or copy them from somewhere without the overhead from whatever is making them more than double the size of my movie?

They are:
    TextInput
    TextArea &
    Button.

Are these components more complicated than they look? Beyond their parameters, what else is there to them?

My contact form is nearly the same as demo for "Flash - PHP feedback form" here:
    http://www.experiments.flashmatics.co.uk/#
    Last edited by nick616; 06-27-2007 at 01:38 AM.

all are components?
    inder

participant
    Yeah, those three are. (under parameters it says "component" with their names and parameters)

or did I misunderstand your question?

thats the only reason size of the swf is 150kb. use Input Text instead component(TextInput).
    and make your own button instead of button component. it will help for sure..
    inder

Yea, I believe lesson 3 for my actionscript class was "never use components... ever." I'd figure out how to code it yourself.
    Whoever taught EVERYONE to put all their code on movie clips needs to be shot...

participant
    Thanks for confirming my revulsion to the cost vs. benefits of these things. I guess then my question is:

Do components such as TextInput, TextArea or Button have any internal actionscript or backend construction beyond the parameters or visible actionscript attached?

That is, what does say a square converted to a button lack when compared to the component Button? (beside the visual aesthetics)

yeah.. you are right here.
    They have internal actionscript..

it all depends on what u want. Usually input text have all basic feature that same component have... try and see urself...
    inder

hi Nick,

Yep for my contact form you dont really need to use components. Just replace each component with a non-component. Keep the instance name for each one the same as the components. The contact form I created was more to show communication between flash and php. I guess i took the lazy route and just dragged components on stage for the actual form.

Note Aside: Basically when u add a component, literally the whole framework is added. That's why the file size gets heavy. Once you add one component, then adding more shouldnt increase the size by a noticeable amount (as the framework has already been added then)
    Flashmatics | Flashmatics Library (free downloads)
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Latest Projects:
    The Dead Room | Are You Smarter | Prison Break (Frame A Friend) | Beck's Fusions | The 24 Experience

-----------------------------------------------------
    Flash Certified Developer

participant
    Thanks for your help everyone - I'm trying to figure out each piece...