A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AS3 version of Tile Based Tutorials

Great job! Would be nice to see something about how to make hero bigger than tiles. It wouldn't be a big adjustment anyway, just to check more points for collision, not only heroes corners

Tonypa, i agree with you on many things, but as i learn AS3 i find out that many of those others things are not that much negative
    Removing "on" and "onClipEvent" commands and making everything work through listeners.
    Listeners can be such a great help, because they handle the communication with your class with the world, if was not by that your class would have to make a lot of assumptions about his external world, and there is no point in encapsulate something that can be used only when his external world is exactly the way it think it should be
    The way children of display object will magically fire mouse events of the parent
    The logic behind that is that, for example, if an arm is part of a body and someone touches the arm, its touching the body at the same time, so its the same event that is happening for both(as always, thanks to senocular that makes that clear).However noone is forced to use this, i dont like this too(make a child wait for events of his parent) because it looks like somehow unnorganized.Like if some external, unplanned force makes you class do stuff it was not planned to do that moment
    Removal of _root.
    Yeah but there are workarounds for this.As well as for
    Removal of Key.isDown() and Key.isToggled().
    Removal of delete.
    delete is still there, only that is only for things created without var

Now, i totally agree on that:
    The way garbage collector does not delete anything when you thought you remove it and it annoyingly pops out later.
    The kill of removeMovieClip and all the mess that cames with it, that sux.I'd never buyed that 'as2 trained people to be lazy coders'.This is the most non goal oriented think i have ever listened.But anyway, i think in the end the new speed and the bennefits of new organizaton makes the benefits bypass the costs
    Last edited by Cimmerian; 09-10-2007 at 06:25 AM.

AS3 Tile based game tutorials?

As mentioned in this topic.

The person who made the AS2 tutorials also mentioned in that topic they were going to update it to AS3. Does anyone know if this was ever completed? And if so where I can find it?
    Last edited by Al3x8730; 12-23-2008 at 06:29 PM.

Anyone found good starter tutorials on AS3 tile based games?

tbg.tonypa.pri.ee

it has enough info about as3 tile based game! The rest is just logic implementation, and if you don't know how to implement that logic, then you need to learn as3!

Much thanks bluemagica!

New to actionscript and Flash, but I know c++/c/java.

The source FLA that are supplied from tbg.tonypa.pri.ee I am trying to compile in FlashDevelop IDE using FLEX 3 SDK.

I made new project Tiledemo (AS3) with Main.as (mine), TBG11.as (Tony) and Hero.as (Tony). I set the publish options on Tony's FLA to export SWC which I had to include in the project to get it to compile.

It is working now ok.

Does one always need to have CS3+ to generate Flash components or can one make tile games purely from AS? I am looking to tinker, learn and hopefully make a few games, however I will like this hobby less if I have to buy an expensive (CS4) IDE.

Thanks!
    Last edited by wynams; 03-31-2009 at 05:56 PM.

No, you don't need the IDE.
    It can be quite handy though. (Not saying you should necessarily get it though).

You dont need Flash IDE at all, basically you only need Flex SDK and you could write everything in Notepad. Or you could use something like haXe, its free too. Its just that I already have Flash CS3 and I find it easier to use.

Tonypa, I m learning a lot on AS3 gaming thanks to you. Many thanks. Just keep going on.

Are you going to continue the tutorials in as3?

Quote Originally Posted by jockostudio View Post
    Are you going to continue the tutorials in as3?
    Probably not.

You can get the ideas from original AS1 too, rewriting whole thing does not improve much. Providing source files in AS3 is much more complicated too, at the days of Flash5 you only had the Flash fla file. Now everyone uses different programs to write their AS3 code so there are no universal "source files" that everyone can look at.

I also have a feeling that reading tutorial about Tile Based Games in AS3 without understanding AS3 is pretty useless because you wont be able to notice the tile based ideas hidden within the code. But once you know AS3 well enough, you can already write your own tile based engine. AS3 just is not very good to present simple ideas, it gets all too complicated and confusing.

true, but some implementations are quite different in as3 than as2, therefore sometimes a change of approach will work much better as in with pathfinding and such! Maybe not a complete rewrite, but maybe you can do a few tips and guides pointing to those types of conceptual changes?

And also tonypa, most people believe that tile-based games mean blocky graphics, and hence tend to avoid it at first.... i think you should release something just to show the truth
    If you like me, add me to your friends list .

PS: looking for spriters and graphics artists for a RPG and an Arcade fighting project. If you can help out, please pm me!

My Arcade My Blog

Add me on twitter:

I have already released bunch of games More then half of them use tiles in some way:
    http://www.tonypa.pri.ee/start.html

Didn't realise this was a necro'd thread until I got to page 3.

I've actually used your Flash 5 tile tutorials to great success recently as I built a flash tile based game prototype using Flex / AS3; they cover the theory behind everything extremely well and it didn't matter that the actual code was out of date.

So I'd say don't bother updating the existing tutorials to AS3 (which it appears is what you have done), but perhaps if you make new ones use AS3. Any plans on extending the series this way?

Ok, im making my own, trying to not read yours, but sometimes it gets really frustrating... so those times i take a tiny look at your tutorials.

I like tony's tutorials. I am having trouble with some but that is because of my complete lack of knowledge. I am still learning a lot from them.

Tony, i've been learn tile engine from your tutorial.. and seems i want to know how to can i spawn multiple units using your "char" object.. can help?

Isometric Engine AS3

Thank you

Hi,
    I just wanna say thank you. I ve used your tutorials from the very beginning to understand tile based games principles. Now, i ve made my own Isometric Engine in AS3. It's open source so guys if you wanna have a look:

I also recommend James Williams' tutorial which show you how to implement the architecture of a casual game.

My Engine / My Editor
    My Blog (French)
    My Google Code/ My Source Forge
    Last edited by angelstreet; 09-28-2009 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Error

Post Tile Based Games AS3

Hi - having learned to much from Tonypa's excellent site, and other super resources, I'm creating tutorials based on what I learned.

I've aimed the tutorials at those who are new to tile based games using actionscript 3 (AS3) so hopefully the mix of text, images, videos and downloads will be found useful by those looking to enjoy the wonders of tile based games and flash development with AS3.

Cups of tea not provided, please bring your own.