Hello, I am hoping that a kindly Flash guru can send me running off in the right direction.

What I want to do is make a SWF which works in the same manner as a DVD menu, using Flash video.

Simply put, that means having a video loop for the background of each 'page', with links to other pages. Each of these links would travel through a video transition to reach the next page.

I am an experienced Java programmer; After Effects user and DVD Author but I have to admit that as a beginner to Flash, I find the number of ways you can embed video... symbols... media server etc. quite confusing.

All I want to do is have my loops and transitions as FLV files on my normal HTTP server, play the current loop while precaching the possible transitions etc.

I am very happy to research the precise coding aspect of this but I am hoping someone can tell me which of the (apparently numerous) methodologies available is the best one to go down.

Do I need to have all my objects in the timeline, or can I have a single object and reassign the video with code?

If it helps my video loops and transitions are 400x300 and around 4-10 seconds, so the bandwidth requirements aren't unreasonable.

Any advice greatly appreciated.