dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: database/php newbie questions...

database/php newbie questions...

over the years.. I have 'dabbled' with whatever extra technology was needed top achieve what I wanted in means of Flash websites/applications.

(ie: php, javascript, zinc, 3rd party tools..etc)..

but I never really learned php or any DB (database) stuff... (I always used xml or flat text files to accomplish my needs)

background summary/skill level:

my php experience extends to things like:

scripts for email, writing to text files, returning xml 'strings' back to flash, scraping a directory for file names..etc..

which I usually hashed together from posts..or had help from members here...and while I 'understood' most of the code.. php syntax and more advanced used escapes me.

I have NEVER used a database before, but have taken a class on INTRO SQL, where they had some in house SQL Worksheet application and pre-made databases to start us off and work with.. I never had a any real world experience with it.

question:

Should I focus my attention to reading up on PHP...or should I focus on reading up mySQL??

and where should I start??

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    Really, you need to know both PHP and MySQL if you are working with Flash. Knowing MySQL isn't going to get you anything without PHP or some other server-side language.

I personally learned them both at the same time. I would suggest picking up this book: http://www.amazon.com/PHP-MySQL-Web-...997305&sr=8-16 It is a nice read and will get you up to par on both technologies in no time.

thanks for the tip/book.

I do understand that I need a server side language to interact with my DB, I guess I should have been more clear.

Im not sure if I plan on getting into PHP outside of interaction with Flash & Databases...

that being said.. is reading up on the PHP sections dealing with database interaction only, where I should focus first?..or the mySQL (query) language portion first?

Im thinking the PHP part will be the bigger learning curve? (As SQL/Query statements didnt seem to rough in my previous dealings with it)

side question: how different is mySQL vs. SQL?

thanks

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    Basically that books starts you out with basic PHP skills and slowly gets you into MySQL. And it starts out with super simple MySQL.

The book is geared towards actually developing web sites, and not Flash, but you can simply adapt the code to output an XML file. It's not much different than outputting HTML.

As for the difference between MySQL and SQL, SQL is a language, like Actionscript. MySQL is the name of the database that uses the SQL language. SQL is used for many different databases, like Oracle, PostgresSQL, MSSQL, etc.

more or less: there are standards for sql, but not every implementation offers all of the features .. and everyone is free to add non-standard features, as well
    You may want to read the standards compliance part of the manual http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...atibility.html and see whether it mentions anything relevant to you

Musicman

hi whispers..any php book worth its price will have enough mySQL information and SQL information to get you started... I learnt SQL for oracle as well and it's literally exactly the same...

The book Taco stated is an excellent book, but for a php/mysql newbie i personally would start of with something that will give you the basics in super time .. i.e a book you could finish in a week and coem out knowing all the fundamentals... i would go for

http://www.amazon.com/PHP-MySQL-Dyna...4018914&sr=8-1

and then if you are hungry for more then go for the book taco recommended..or http://www.amazon.com/Web-Database-A...4018914&sr=8-4

and for a good quick book on sql

http://www.amazon.com/Sams-Teach-You...4019480&sr=1-1
    Last edited by silentweed; 07-09-2007 at 06:18 PM.
    Flashmatics | Flashmatics Library (free downloads)
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Latest Projects:
    The Dead Room | Are You Smarter | Prison Break (Frame A Friend) | Beck's Fusions | The 24 Experience

-----------------------------------------------------
    Flash Certified Developer