A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Passing Additional Parameters with Events

Passing Additional Parameters with Events

What's the best way to pass additional parameters with.. let's say.. a mouseclick?

So, for example... the user clicks on a button and I want to pass the value 10 along with it.. so, whenever the buttonClicked function is called it has that value to use.

I know that you can create custom events by making a subclass of the Event class. And I know that you can dispatch the custom events to where you can access additional parameters by doing something like:
    PHP Code:
    dispatchEvent(new CustomEvent("action"10)); 
    CustomEvent's constructor would look something like:
    PHP Code:
    public function CustomEvent(_type:String_val:Number);

super(type);

val _val;

And later on you can access the val by doing something like:
    PHP Code:
    function buttonClicked(evt:CustomEvent) {

trace(evt.val);

But in order to do that, you'd have to do something like:
    PHP Code:
    button.addEventListener("buttonClick"buttonClicked);
    dipatchEvent(new CustomEvent("buttonClick"10)); 
    You have to dispatch the event yourself in order to pass that extra parameter.

So, how could I pass parameters when the user actually does click on the button?

I've thought about just adding a regular MouseEvent.MOUSE_DOWN and dispatching the event from that function... but I lose the values that I need to pass through.

I've also thought about creating a local listener function.. something like
    PHP Code:
    var val:uint 10;
    button.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_DOWN, function buttonClicked(e:Event):void dispatchEvent("buttonClick"val); }); 
    Would that work, though? I can't test it out right now. Only brainstorming.

Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by AfternoonDelite; 07-10-2007 at 01:25 PM.

Multitouch Aficionado
    Dispatching from the button is probably your best bet. You could have one of the args for your CustomEvent be the MouseEvent passed through. That is:

Code:
    function CustomEvent(type:String, val:Number, OrigEvent:MouseEvent){
    Then, you would dispatch the event in your handler:
    Code:
    function buttonClicked(e:MouseEvent){
         dispatchEvent(new CustomEvent("buttonClicked", 10, e));
    }
    You could also pass the properties you need into your CustomEvent

Code:
    function buttonClicked(e:MouseEvent){
         var customEvent = new CustomEvent(buttonClicked, e.localX, val);
         dispatchEvent(customEvent);
    }
    Of course, you'd have to add the corresponding args for the values you're passing through to your CustomEvent class.

That's a good idea with passing the MouseEvent into the CustomEvent as well. I didn't think of that.

My main problem now seems to be scope.. accessing the variables I want to pass through to the custom event.

I suppose I could try doing the local function used just to dispatch the custom event.

Multitouch Aficionado
    At the top of your class, declare
    Code:
    private var _val:Number;
    Then you'll have access to it in all Class functions (including buttonClicked).

I'd need to see more of your code to understand better how to help. =)

Oh, I know.. I could do that.. It would just be kind of unnecessary.

As an example:

Say you have 10 buttons all stored in an array.

You want to loop through each button and assign a MouseEvent for the MouseEvent.MOUSE_DOWN

PHP Code:
    for(var 0buttons.lengthi++) {
       var 
    button:Button buttons[i];

button.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_DOWNbuttonClicked);

I mean.. that would work all fine and dandy.

But, what if the button was just a property of an object and there was an array of objects. Let's just call them TestObjects for this example.

so:
    PHP Code:
    for(var 0testObjects.lengthi++) {
       var 
    button:Button testObjects[i].button;

button.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_DOWNbuttonClicked);

How would I know which button was clicked out of the array? I'm thinking I have to pass an index to the array. That way.. when the button is clicked.. the correct testObject can do whatever it needs to do.

Another example:

Say I have an array of Image objects who have filename, xpos, and ypos properties.

I'm looping through the array of Image objects and create a Loader and URLRequest to load the image from the filename. Once it's done loading, I want to move it's xpos and ypos. I'd have to pass the xpos and ypos along with the function.. but how would I do that? Again, I think I'd need a local function.
    PHP Code:
    loader.contentLoaderInfo.addEventListener("imageLoaded");
    loader.contentLoaderInfo.addEventListener(Event.COMPLETE, function eventComplete(e:Event):void dispatchEvent(new CustomEvent("imageLoaded"xposypos); }); 

Multitouch Aficionado
    i was unaware you would write a function inline with addEventListener like that. i thought you'd need to call an external function.

anyway, there is a MouseEvent.target property that will tell you which object was clicked on. so if you store your variables in the button (buttons[i].ypos), you can use event.target.ypos to access them.

also, use bubbling. rather than adding an event listener for each, store the buttons in a parent display object and add your event handling to the parent.

MainTimeline
    -buttonHolder
    --button1
    --button2
    --. . .
    --buttonN

buttonHolder will receive events from its children. so buttonHolder.addEventListener is the same as button1.addEventListener . . . buttonN.addEventListener
    Last edited by illustratedlife; 07-10-2007 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Safari cutoff the post

I was just trying to avoid having to create a new class and, instead, pass parameters accordingly. Because if I'm going to add properties, I'd rather create a strict class for the object.

Hm. I didn't know that. I'll give it a shot, thanks.

Multitouch Aficionado
    i dont see a disadvantage to writing a button class. add the properties you need and nobody gets hurt =)

better than stressing about it. (i get in the same -how can i do this cleanly- thought process too, but it usually turns out if i followed my intuition i'd be in good shape)