A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: E-learning section?

anyone else hear that? flashpipe1's Avatar

E-learning section?

Just wondering if there were ever thoughts of creating a section of FK specifically dealing with e-learning?? I've been developing e-learning for more than 11 years and have seen TONS of good and bad courses and there are so many conventions, scripts, examples, etc. that could be provided in a central location...everything from how to structure a course, what technologies to use (xml, db, SCORM, LMS, LCMS, etc.), what to avoid, setting up for multiple developers, dealing with clients, etc.

I know many of those topics are covered in various places in FK, but there are so many conventions specific to e-learning it seems like a natural category...

Thanks!!
    Love like you've never been hurt, live like there's no tomorrow and dance like nobody's watching.

We can definitely add an eLearning category to the various resources on Flash Kit that could apply to eLearning such as Tutorials, FLAs, and Links but I don't know that the single topic would be enough to support creating a new forum. Did you have something else in mind?

I was just thinking it might be nice to have one place someone can go to post questions relating to topics specific to e-learning (SCORM, specific tools, learning models, training simulations, re-usability, platforms, etc., etc.)

Some of these topics are covered in various places throughout the site currently as they relate to flash, so it might be problematic as you will create lots of cross-platform posting...But, seems like there's no one place to go (other than New Posts) to look for e-learning specific questions that may (or may not be) outside of the realm of flash.

There are several forums I visit that are specific to e-learning without having anything to do with flash, and flash is quickly becoming/has quickly become a huge tool within the e-learning community, so it seems like there are numerous practices and conventions that could be shared...

Thanks for the consideration, and interested to hear your thoughts!
    Love like you've never been hurt, live like there's no tomorrow and dance like nobody's watching.

Just found this...as long ago as 2003...and flash has come SO far in the e-learning community since then...

http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...rning+category

I agree, its a good time to isolate the categories in the resources. You mentioned several sub-categoies, ie; SCORM, specific tools, learning models, training simulations, re-usability, platforms. Are there others that should be listed?

We can start with the "Links" section. This will be an easy hit, so if anyone has any useful elearning relates links that they would like to submit, lets get them in there. I can search the db to see if there are currently any elearning related links there now that should be relocated to the newly added elearning specific categories and subcategories.

Is it eLearning, E-Learning, e-Learning or e-learning?

These might be popular sub-categories to add as well for the eLearning Links submissions.

Screencasts
    ePortfolios
    EPSS (electronic performance support system)
    Web sites and Web 2.0 communities
    Discussion boards
    Collaborative software
    Blogs
    wiki
    Computer Aided Assessment
    Educational animation
    Simulations
    Games
    Learning management software
    Electronic voting systems

Great stuff!! Some of those could probably be categorized and split up into more groups...

I've always used e-learning (electronic learning), but I've seen it all different ways...

Here are a few more possible categories:
    Assistive techonlogy
    Edutainment
    Blended learning
    Case studies
    E-learning Standards (which would encompass SCORM, AIC, IEEE, IMS...)
    Economics of e-learning
    E-universities

I guess the question is how far should it go??

There's TONS out on other forums, etc.

I strongly support this idea. I worked on e-learning development for 2 years, and am currently looking for resources on using Flash with SCORM standards. They just shatter around, and the Flash help menu doesn't help much in my case.

Alright... I am not professional enough in this, I agree :P