A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: top of the range point & shoot versus bottom of the range SLR

As far as accessories and such- don't buy any "kits" those are all trash. I learned that the hard way. Get yourself a nice brush/blower and some nice cleaning clothes to go with it. I got a HUGE pack of disposable lens wipes for like $10. They work much better then the microfiber clothes you can use over and over because if it is dirty or has a piece of dirt or sand on it you could scratch something it is nice to just use and throw away.

For backpacks I would definitely go to a store and try them out and check them out close up before you even go online to buy them cheaper. I got a backpack for Christmas and as nice of a gift it was and as well it holds all I have now if I upgrade to anything else or add a lens I won't have enough room and how it goes on my back and such it looks goofy and after a while is uncomfortable.

Anything else we can suggest for you to spend money on?
    Last edited by WannaBe_80z; 07-18-2007 at 03:31 PM.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

well, i don't have any money to even by the camera (thank you credit card), so i really want to keep things to a minimum, but so far i have this list:

• the D40 (with the kit lens)
    • a UV filter (i'd already been advised to get one of those!)
    • a spare battery (probably a third party one as the nikon ones are £45!
    • probably about 4GB of memory
    • a bag- i was thinking of getting one like this, as i want to limit the amount of bulkiness for when we're away. once i get an additional lens i will probably sell it and get a bigger bag, but for now i think that'll do
    • a gorilla pod, although this could probably wait til we're back. maybe (depends how much i get when i sell off my cybershot accessories!)

what are your thoughts on this list?

Don't buy a 4GB card. I would suggest get 2x 2GB or hell even a 2GB and 2x 1GB cards so that if one is lost or broken or corrupt not ALL your pics are lost. You can usually find 1 GB cards really cheap. But that list is looking good. Don't forget the wipes or some clothe. Lenses get nasty and even a cotton shirt is not too good to wipe it with- even though I have done it.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Ditto what wannabe said... and also, don't go for a 3rd party battery the life tends to be shorter and if it leeks you're ****ed.
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

not too bothered about the shorter life of the battery, but the leaking? damn. so you really think i ought to spend the extra money and get the nikon battery?

thanks wannabe- yep i will get some wipes for sure, disposable sounds good (we have one of those microfibre cloths for cleaning DVDs and they're not that great after a few uses). yeah i was intending to get 1 x 2GB card and 2 x 1GB, not so much with the thought of breaking a card, but incase the camera gets stolen with a card in there (will be keeping all the cards safely stored in separate places).

reading through my original post here is quite funny- this started off as a 'hypothetical question'! but now i'm about to go for it

Nikonist
    I am not giving any advice in regard to a battery I am just telling you my experience...I am using the low-cost third party stuff since years for my Nikons and they never failed or leaked...I find them very cheap and reliable. Look at EBAY!!
    Now here is an advice...get yourself a high capacity battery (2200 mAh is fine) and get yourself a plug adapter for the US system as you might need to charge it
    !!Click on your own risk!!

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

jus placed the order!

tried to order the nikon battery but the guy at the shop (over the phone) said that they had no nikon ones in stock and that the hamer one they have works fine. he also said he has never known them to leak. so we'll see. it will only be a back-up anyway, for when the other one is flat and i desperately need it.

will need to get a US socket adapter for a number of things which might need charging/plugging into the main whilst out there (and, no not that kind of thing). thanks for hte reminder though frex!

so i've ordered all the bits i need (for now at least!), should be here tomorrow/saturday!!! i can't wait

it will be just like Christmas....to yourself

Congrats!

I'm actually excited for you How geeky is that?!

edit: Agree with Frex on the battery. I got my spare on eBay for about £10 and it has worked fine for the last year or so.

hehe

prepare for a deluge of photos and/or frustrated questions!

thanks for the reassurance about the battery from you both- made the decision on impulse (could have tried to get a nikon one elsewhere).

it arrived last night

off to have a play now...... so many buttons

Nikonist
    Welcome on board of the Nikon user society

Have fun and....Congratulations!!
    Now we are waiting on some impressive photography
    !!Click on your own risk!!

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

Wow that was fast! Congratulations! You are going to be wanting to spend more money on that thing then you will ever have for it...be prepared it's a sad truth

yep, it was pretty fast. i was gutted as i thought they hadn't delivered it yesterday (in which case i probably wouldn't have got it til tuesday), but our neighbour came round with it at about 9 last night

slowly working my way through the manual. manuals are booooring. but i'm having fun playing with it. will be taking out for a walk tomorrow hopefully

I expect a new thread later today. Post your 001 file so we can all see what you devirginized your camera with

i deleted it
    it was my wife's ear!
    the ealriest ones on there now are the cat....

Quote Originally Posted by carly1979
    haha, i wish!

thanks for all your help wannabe, littlematt, lefteye, frex.. it might sound as if i'm not taking your advice on board, but beleive me i am. you've certainly convinced me SLR is the way to go anyway

I understand that non DSLR (wannbe DSLR) may be cheaper a true DSLR but I have the Sony F828, although its a great camera I find my self wanting more.... I know that $$ play a big part in any purchase but I find that I need more to get the "shot"

I recently purchased a telephoto lens adaptor 58mm --> 125 mm or somthing like that, I was tempted to get the 170 mm but I still get great shots.

I just find the wannbe DLSR... ( I don't know the technical term) doesn't give me what I want. I want that 300 MM lens that is a foot long!! of course my pocket book is too lean for that now...

I would never buy a point and click unless it was a secondary or tieratary camera for the conveince of less bagage and ease of use, I just find those point and clicks don't do it.

I am always looking for the next step up or wishing "if I just had a ...." it would be better.

But again its all what you can afford and you can always sell it, I tend to keep so I have multiple of the same thing!! Then you can give it to your kid to use.

I used to many "I's" in this reply blehhh...
    All out of Honey Buffers, so i grabed a few Goose Heads

Nikon D1x,
    Nikon AF 80-200 f/2.8D ED,
    and a Sigma AF 18-35/3.5-4.5 for kicks!

E, Wannabe... i'm sorry

edit: also, carly, the guy I bought this off is a Nikon fanatic and swears by cheap batteries!
    Last edited by robbmcaulay; 07-24-2007 at 07:04 PM.

how much you pay?

$900, the 80-200 is worth $1000