A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Any tips on how to achieve this graphic effect?

Hybrid View

Any tips on how to achieve this graphic effect?

Hi everyone - I'm new to the board and was hoping you may be able to give me pointers or suggestions for a graphic effect I've been trying to figure out.

It's part of the intro on this *wonderful* site http://punkyfish.com/main.php

I've figured out how to do all the image effects apart from the swirling coloured animations that fly around the models and leave a trail behind them.

Are they done in actionscript, or using a guidelayer, or are they done using a plugin ??

Any pointers as to how to understand this and re-create similar things would be wonderful

Thanx for any help/suggestions !!!

You're right, that is a pretty cool site. I'm at a loss as to how they created those swirls, though. Anybody else got any ideas?
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Yeh - I came across it after visiting their shop. Just fell in love with the flash ideas on there and was inspired to try and figure out how they did them.

Thanks for having a look anyhoo, and hopefully someone may have a good idea the way they can be created

my guess:

the line animation effect was created in some 3d program and import into flash with transparency.

or, just a very good tween animation with added blur

but i havent got a clue on how they made it fades away as it passes by like that

-juju

I think it was done it after effects, and then added.

3DMX and After Effects - cool, thanks for those suggestions - will look into those possibilities

Tbh thats pretty helpful - as to know it prob wasn't created driectly in flash will kinda save me time trying to acihieve it in the standalone programe.

Just wondering though - is there similar things can also be done in swish or swift ? (never used those)

You won't get anywhere even close with Swift3D if that's what you are talking about. And Swish is basically a watered down version of Flash, so I doubt you'll find anything there that you won't in Flash.

Now that I think about it, you might want to look into particleIllusion. You might be able to make a custom emitter that creates that effect.
    mrush

perpetually bored
    I don't think it was created with AE. It might have been made with 3d software, but also could easily have been made with 2d software. It just looks like a simple masking technique to me. The whole animation is built on masking techniques.

photoshop & flash. dont need after affects and any 3d soft.

Quote Originally Posted by nukacola
    photoshop & flash. dont need after affects and any 3d soft.
    anylinks to tutorials?? thanks
    -juju

read some books for flash, any toturials and of course YOUR IMAGINATION.
    not every author will make you see how it was done.
    All elements made in photoshop, then exports to flash and animating in flash frame by frame with masks and vectors stuff...

i have seen this done in AF

i have seen this done in AF
    whats AF ?

My guess.. is that.. they probably.. used plenty of masking.. but damn its so good!

I've also seen it done in After Effects. Use the pen tool to create a crazy, curvy line, then animate the stroke so it looks like the line is moving. It also looks like they used some masking to make the line appear behind some objects. Shouldn't be that difficult to do.

This was more than likely done in After effects with Trapcodes 3d Stroke plugin. Trapcode was just sold to Red Giant software. Alot of cool effects in Flash are done in After Effects.

http://redgiantsoftware.com/3dstrokeexamples.html

I think you're onto something with that 3D Stroke plugin. Thanks for the link, Scott.
    mrush