A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RE: XML - Graphical Weather Feed

what's wrong with your proxy? It's just a php file that you create and then set as the xmlLoad file instead of the actual load file.

Posts #30 and #23 pretty much have all you really need.

Proxy Script

Quote Originally Posted by villain2
    First, I'd strongly suggest you reference this page on kirupa:

http://www.kirupa.com/web/xml/XMLwithFlash3.htm

After function(success){ is where you write the code to pull xml nodes in to different aspects of your application (ie. loader boxes, text areas etc.)

Also, I would create a proxy script for your myXML.load function instead of the weather channel link directly. If you try to run that on a web site, it won't work because of Flash security issues.

Reference the proxy script listed in one of my earlier posts here.
    Villain,

Thanks for the reply. This stuff is frusterating. I don't think I'll need to set-up a proxy script, because the module will be running on a local machine. The only thing I'd want to referance is the XML feed and the icons.

So with that being said - is there anything else I"m missing? For some reason I cannot get anything to work - and I've followed your instructions exactly.

Please advise. And again - thank you for your help!
    ~ Brian

Found an example:

Hey Guys,

I finally found a working example [FLA] file.
    Uploaded it to my server at:

http://www.intromotion.com/upload/getWeather.zip

Something to dig through, that might help us understand.

Let me know if this helps.
    Thanks,
    ~ Brian

Quote Originally Posted by mrshybee
    Villain,

Thanks for the reply. This stuff is frusterating. I don't think I'll need to set-up a proxy script, because the module will be running on a local machine. The only thing I'd want to referance is the XML feed and the icons.

So with that being said - is there anything else I"m missing? For some reason I cannot get anything to work - and I've followed your instructions exactly.

Please advise. And again - thank you for your help!
    ~ Brian
    Okay, show or send me the code you've written and I'll fix it up for you.

I've been searching around for a complete list of weather conditions descriptions that the weather channel offers, but haven't had any luck. I know the icons are detailed enough to get the idea, but they are not perfect. There are several icons that represent similar conditions for day and night, but you can't tell by looking at the icon. There are 5 thunderstorm looking icons, but I don't know the text description that belongs to each. I would like to make my own icons a little more detailed.

Here's what I have so far: http://www.crowdersmountain.com/v2/
    Click the bottom right area where it has "Local Weather" in small blue text. This fires the xml call. I made tiny transparent flash video files for each weather condition.

Excellent site Mattgyver.

There really isn't a list that they give you for the conditions, you pretty much go on what they appear to be. Some are strong thunderstorms, some just thunder, some thunder with light rain etc. etc.

RE: Still In Need of Help

I still need some help with this. I've been working on this for months now - with no success. Anyone???

Still? What's the issue?

Issue

I've followed your instructions, and nothing seems to load...
    I'm stumped... - it's been tormenting me for some time now.

I've posted this project in the freelance boards, however I don't think anyone can just set this up, and run it on any server.

Any continued help with this would be greatly appeciated. I'd really like to see an FLA files and how it's all set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by villain2
    Still? What's the issue?

As3

Sorry, i cant help you. I made it in as3.

Everything you need to know is within this posting string. All I can suggest is that you get into studying the concepts posted here and work with Flash to teach yourself how xml, SharedObjects, dataBind and other functions work with ActionScript. Without that, we can post (and have) a majority of how to do it, but since it's a specific app you're trying to make, you're never going to get it unless you up your understanding of Flash, XML, ActionScript and PHP.

Starts to sound like you want someone to make this for you.

Yeah, sounds like that.. I desided to read about as3, and guess what after a week or two i figured out myself. All the basics are in this thread. Just read them in the right order. Good luck!

I went through the same issues.
    I also documented what I learned when I created my own flash weather feed.

The proxy part is easy, however remember to CACHE the results otherwise you risk 'spamming' the weather server with too many requests and would get your IP banned.

I ended up using weather google api even though it's undocumented.