A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [F8] Tweening too slow with dynamic Text

[F8] Tweening too slow with dynamic Text

Hi!

I use a scrollpane to scroll some large Movieclips that contain long texts, and the scrollpane has to fade in. I made all the website and tested it with static Texts/Mcs, but now that I have integrated the XML part to set those texts dynamically, I encounter the problem that the alpha tweening of the scrollpane MC runs very very slowly.
    I know that alpha transitions need more processing, but I think there must be a way to optimize the project, to make the tweening run equally to the static-text version...

I tried everything that I could, but without success. Maybe you could help?

Please at least take a look at it. Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

aarif
    i hav made some changes in ur file and it works fine now.

1. i removed the scrollpane component and used textarea
    2. i didnt use Mcc movie clip which u used to get the text
    3. I used script to make the alpha 100 for your dynamic text box.

you can download the files from here.

http://www.aarif.be/clients/desperate_flasher.zip

Hi Aarif!

thanks for your time and help!

I tried your file, but I just see the textarea scroller fading, but not the text itself (!)

As a matter of fact I use a self skinned version of "ultimateScroller", which actually works in a similar way as flash Scrollpane (that's why I used scrollpane instead of textarea in this test - I have some pages with texts, and some pages with generated MCs on this project, so I will have to use the same skinned Scroller everywhere...)

Btw, I tried your way of assigning alpha by AS; I tried it on the Scroller MC, then only on the Text MC, but it doesn't run really faster...

Maybe there is a way to make a dynamic text static, after it has loaded?
    I also tried to set the dynamic text from outside of the MC (in the case that it re-runs the script every frame, at tweening.)

Please tell me if you have an idea...
    Thanks

aarif
    yes u r right i didnt notice that.. i m working on it if something comes up will post it here rightaway

Hi!

thanks again for your help

I put all the code which sets the dynamic text outside of the MC itself, and tried your fading code again. Now it runs better at least on shorter texts.

It seems that longer MCs need more processing on alpha tweenings, even if just a small part of them is made visible by a mask. (it is such a waste by flash, not to calculate only the visible area)

There may also be another way which is not very clean, but perhaps my only chance: I can put an MC over the scrollpane area, and fade out this MC. The problem is that I use picture backgrounds, which means I must use the same pictures in the upper laying MCs too...

Well, thank you very much for now. Maybe you will find a more effective way by chance.