dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Actionscript and Layers

FLash Beginner

Actionscript and Layers

So I'm still making this shooting game, and I got a few different kind of movie clips:
    the mouse cursor (aim visor), bullet holes, and targets. All these movie clips have a linkage to actionscript, where they are created multiple times.
    Now ideally I want the mouse cursor to always be on top, after that the bullet holes and the targets on the background. Currently I am doing this with AddChildAt(), but it's giving me some problems, since I also want to RemoveChildAt() for the bullet holes if there are too many on the screen. I can probably do all this if I keep track of index numbers of the bullets and the targets, but isn't there a way I can attach a movie clip to a layer? That would make more sense and isn't much hassle for me.

The clip that you want to be on top: At the point in the code where you want it to be on top, just issue this command again: addChild(clip). For a clip that's not in the display list, that command would add it. For a clip that's already in the display list, it'll bring it to the front.

Will moderate for beer
    Also, instead of adding directly to the same object, you can add empty sprites as containers.

pseudocode:
    Code:
    var mouselayer:Sprite;
    var bulletlayer:Sprite;
    addChild(mouselayer);
    addChild(bulletlayer);
    mouselayer.addChild(mouseclip);
    bulletlayer.addChild(bullet);
    That should allow you to simulate layers.

FLash Beginner
    Ok, thank you both, I think I can manage now.