dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Site navigation approach and best practices

Site navigation approach and best practices

Hi there,
    I'm having some troubles making traditional site navigation in actionscript 3
    the first problem was to export a movieclip for actionscript.

I've got a movieclip which in first frame i call a custom class that extends Sprite Class and has some references to the stage (using ADDED_TO_STAGE event)

It´s working fine, but if I try to export this movieclip for actionscript giving the class name Player and Base Class MovieClip or Sprite to it I got this error

TypeError: Error #1034: Type Coercion failed: cannot convert flash.display::MovieClip@2bfcc8f9 to Player.

I know that is probably the worst way to make it, but i'm a little lost on how to do it...

In AS2 I could give the movieclips indetifiers and then put them on the Stage using attachMovie() and removing using removeMovieClip(), now Adobe says that you can give a Class name and call the movieclip using the code example

var mc:Player = new Player();

add them using addChild() and remove using removeChild();

but which would be the best way to make somthing like this? or, how do you make regular site navigation using AS3?

thanks
    Chan

Multitouch Aficionado
    Do you extend MovieClip in your Class file?

i tried both, extending Sprite and MovieClip Class...the error remains

if I check the 'export in first frame" there´s no error, but this will "kill" my preloader...

is there an option to solve this?