dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [beta] Bowling Alley Defense

[beta] Bowling Alley Defense

Hi all,

I've just finished a playable version of my new game.

here it is: Bowling Alley Defense

No towers in this game, just creeps and angry celebrities invading the bowling alley, trying to steal the pins.
    Ten levels, six different creeps and ten different bosses.

I've released one or two badly designed games in the past, so this time I was hoping to get some feedback and have it properly beta tested

I had to overcome a few strange bugs in Flash with this one, so I hope it runs ok.

Thanks!

Wow, can level 1 be a bit tempered?

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    Level 1: Fine. Level 2: Rediculous. After that, it's pointless in even trying... but I like it. It just seems to me that there's too much to do and too long of a wait for 1 ball to regenerate. I made one good shot and throw one creep off the screen, and 5 more are already to the bottom of the screen.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

Thanks,
    I'm still messing with the difficulty settings. The speed was set a bit too high, should be better now. Although I'm not sure if it performs differently of different systems, I don't really trust that setInterval the game runs on..

Regeneration of the ball is also quicker now.

I really like the concept and it plays nicely, but ImprisonedPride has hit the nail on the head when he says that it's the wait for the ball to respawn that kills it. Other than that (and some balancing you need to do), nice work!

I aint throwing any bowling ball to Mister Larry Bird.
    No sir I aint!

I can use one for Anderson though...

I think more than the difficulty, the game is missing some subbtleties (it happens to me all the time too )

You don't really have the felling of controling things up, it looks pretty much randow throwing and hoping for the best. Baddies gfx could be improved too.

Sorry to say so but looks like a raft to me.
    Hope nobody knows I am still on Flash 5

i really like it. But yes, maybe you could have two balls, when you fire one, the next is ready to go. The nav was really easy to use and i like that. Those defense games put me off because of all that cluttered nav and choices, i like how you have shown what can be bought by highlighting the buy button, i hate when i have to calculate maths and see if i can afford stuff.

The physics are good too. But i think it needs a little bit more, like say lanes, if you can introduce a more bowling like feel then i'd say you got a ripper of a game. Like maybe you have a character, choose your lane then fire, the ball hits the sides of the lane as well as the enemies, or even harder, the ball gets trapped in the gutter. Having some pins at the end would be cool to for some combos.

anyway, i enjoyed it, nice work.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Thanks, yes I've considered lanes and I may do something like that. I wanted to keep things simple and see how it would work out.

I've optimized it for Internet Explorer (at my system at least) But the game goes way too quick in Firefox It's almost unplayable.
    Not sure how to fix that one, as I said I've not worked with intervals a lot. I'm used to Firefox being slightly slower with enterframes.

nice game play and presentation...
    http://robotnic.co.uk/
    -----------------------------------------

I really enjoyed the gameplay (probably the best thing about the game), and it was fairly original too; however, the concept/story seemed really mashed up (I don’t normally care about the stories in Flash games much, but everything was so distant in relation to each other, that it's beyond me how you came up with such an idea).
    Cartoon graphics & the animations were great.

The game's difficulty was probably the aspect that annoyed me the most. As has already been mentioned several times above, the game would be much more enjoyable if the ball regeneration was faster, or there were 2 bowling balls, or the points system was more rewarding, or the aiming was mouse controlled.

The only glitch that I found was that when I tapped the machine gun power-up to fire single shots, if I was fast enough the bar would decrease, but no bullets would fire.
    The last bad thing that I'm going to mention is that I think you're high score system is screwed up: Call me a winger if you want :P, but I got up to level 4 or 5, IP only reached level 2 (judging by his post), and yet he gets a much higher score than me! It must be that you're basing the score on the remaining points, rather then the total points accumulated over the whole game (ie. if I buy something from the 'shop', I'm sacrificing my end-of-game score).

Overall though, I really enjoyed it.

Viza

Viza:
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    I'll fix the machine gun. And I guess you're right that the scoring isn't fair. I think I'm going to award points for the level reached.

There's not really a story in the game. The Pamela Anderson thing will become clearer in the end. I agree that the famous endbosses don't make much sense. I tried to think of a story when the game was almost finished, but couldn't come up with a good reason for Larry Bird or Joe DiMaggio to attack a bowling alley

Edit: The Firefox problem seems to have fixed itself. (restarted the browser) It runs the game just a slow as IE does atm
    Last edited by Estartic; 07-25-2007 at 09:46 PM.

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    I made it to level 5, Viza. I'm just the ----, that's all.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

bruce lee = chinese
    Shuriken = japanese

nice game though.. would be better without those pics
    Last edited by providence0630; 07-26-2007 at 09:40 AM.
    try my games
    newEscape Game | SPOT

Estartic,

Very nice game. I like the graphics and the game play is easy and nice.

However, very nice, simple and addictive game.

*Edit; I would just like to say i completed the game. It was very fun, the last level was a pain but that lady got what she desirved.

lol.

Nice one
    Last edited by mickm; 07-26-2007 at 10:47 AM.
    Post you game for free at Gamestack.org. We send the user straight to your website, no iFrames or other leeching methods.

Please check out Gamestack.org for more information.

It's good to hear you completed it mickm I'm glad that you like it.

I usually get so fed up with a game while developing that it gets released without much testing. I usually rely on people posting that it's too hard or easy in the shoutboxes at my site.
    Although I don't dislike playing this one as much as other games in the past, I still can't be dragged to try and complete the game. So I'm glad you did