A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [F8] Building a site in Flash - Use Scenes as Pages or SWFs

[F8] Building a site in Flash - Use Scenes as Pages or SWFs

I am building my first big site in Flash.

As I add more and more content and the 'pages' become more complex with subnavigations and forms, I wonder if my approach to building pages - which is to create a scene for each page - is flawed.

So I'd like to ask the experts:
    when you build a site do you make a new scene for each page or do you link from swf file to swf file?

Thank you

Pati

Depends how big the website is... if you have a massive .swf file, then the loading time will be longer and not a very good user experience... so seperate .swf's and loading them as needed, is often a better option...

Though if it's a quick load... then a single .swf will be an easier setup
    what the hell's a motion tween?

AKA [ Paul Bainbridge] webdreamer's Avatar
    i always make it a golden rule to have separate swf's where i can.
    I have never be a fan of using scenes
    .: To me AS is like LEGO, Only for the big Kids :.
    - Site - Blog - Twitter - Linkedin
    bringmadeleinehome.com

Quote Originally Posted by lulurock
    I am building my first big site in Flash.

As I add more and more content and the 'pages' become more complex with subnavigations and forms, I wonder if my approach to building pages - which is to create a scene for each page - is flawed.

So I'd like to ask the experts:
    when you build a site do you make a new scene for each page or do you link from swf file to swf file?

Thank you

Pati
    From my research, scenes are considered bad. Apparantley Flash doesn't really flow from one scene to another quite as smoothly as you would expect it to....there is usually an audio problem when switching between scenes for example (it jitters or stops).

Seperate SWF's are the way to go.

personally I use movie clips for pages, this way i can get nice transitions, if the site gets very big with various different sections then using seperate swf's is a good choice. but no scenes at all!
    Adobe Certified Associate in Rich Media Communication Flash CS3

My Company: Helix Creative My Main Project: CreativeChain

Well i must say it is good to see that peeps are staying well clear of scene's and also advising others against using them.

Scene's are the devils work.
    bringmadeleinehome.com

Scenes vs. swf files

Thank you for all the replys to my question.

Now...since I'm making my pages individual swf files, do I link them by assigning the loadMovie action to the buttons?

thanks again.

Pati

Student
    I dislike booth suggestions,- I always put as less frames as possible on the main timeline and place starting with the 2nd or 3rd frame in each frame a movieClip containing the Content of that area. That way I have more control when it comes to mixing contents (though AS). The other pro is that I have faster and a clearer overview on what frames exist and how they blend into each other.

Scenes are crap no need to discess them,- the con on external SWF files is that you need to update them each time one by one if a major change happens that affects all swf files (font style, colors, Background,...)- and you always need the FLA files + Flash installed on the computer you want to update the content.
    If a website really is that heavy dynamic it´s better anyway splitting things even more into very common files e.g xml, jpg, png, css and then put them together in flash

I must say that I agree with renderhjs. Thats what I do too, mainly using movie clips and dynamic content coming in. I try to use dynamic content wherever possible even if the site isnt that big and heavy this way I have more control over updating my content without having to make any changes to the Flash file!

yes but i have to disagree with renderhjs on the part of
    he con on external SWF files is that you need to update them each time one by one if a major change happens that affects all swf files (font style, colors, Background,...)
    Depends on how you build these different sections.

I am big believer of keeping different sections of a site in separate fla's.
    One main index swf with as little as possible content so it loads quickly and then only load the other sections when user requested each section.

On my own site i have only the site layout, navigation and news section in it. All other sections are loaded only when requested and 99% of the content is loaded dynamically.
    bringmadeleinehome.com

I try to preload individual movie clips on the _root, but I suppose that Flash see it all as one file. So I think your(webdreamer) solution is somehow good, the only problem could be refencing in AS which i think if you plan things before hand that shoudnt be a problem either!

In fact ill use your method next time im developing a website to see how it work!

So I think your(webdreamer) solution is somehow good, the only problem could be refencing in AS which i think if you plan things before hand that shoudnt be a problem either!
    Yeah man, most of my code is located within the root movie. It's most just data loading and displaying code i have in the individual sections.
    bringmadeleinehome.com

Building sites, etc.

uh, ok..!
    Could someone direct me to tutorials for dynamically loading content into Flash sites?

Thanks again everyone. I've sworn off scenes and my site sections are individual .fla files.

Pati

Student
    some tuts:
    http://www.actionscript.org/resource...t-1/Page1.html

adobe:
    http://livedocs.adobe.com/flash/mx20...=00001577.html

http://www.flash-creations.com/notes...ic_loadjpg.php

though looking at the flash help regarding movieClipLoader is even as good and quicker. When managing multiple content - try working with functions and an array that contains the path´s e.g:

PHP Code:
    files = new Array("swf/home.swf","swf/links.swf","swf/****ms.swf");
    function 
    loadSection(nr){
        var 
    my_mcl:MovieClipLoader = new MovieClipLoader();
        var 
    myListener:Object = new Object();

myListener.onLoadInit = function(target:MovieClip) {

trace("*********loaded succesfully*********");

//start a transition animation or whatever...

};

my_mcl.addListener(myListener);

my_mcl.loadClip(files[nr-1], MovieClip_loadContainer);
    }

btn_home.onPress = function(){

loadSection(1);//load the first swf file

where MovieClip_loadContainer is a movieClip placed on the stage containing the to be loaded swf files

I'd use movieClipLoader that is mentioned above me because you can use the listeners. This allows you to pass code to new swf's only when they are ready so you don't have the trouble of sending information to something that doesn't exist. Also, to get in on the debate; loading in swf's is the way to go. All the code on the _root, and load in the heavy stuff dynamically to speed up the user experience!
    http://code.mneilsworld.com/
    Text Effects | Bubbles | Dynamic Resize
    4 weeks , 20 papers ... thats 2 dollars .....Caassshhh!