A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Confused...

Confused...

I just got CS3 and was trying to work with AS9, thinking it would simply be a version of AS8 with more features. But I have bad coding experience and seeing 10 errors when I tried to copy code from flash 8 to flash 9 killed me. It seems AS9 is not only an update, but everything is different. I have tried to view tutorials but the simplest things seem to take 3 lines of code. I don't know what to do. Should I stick with AS2 and go to AS3 for the game's sequel? Should I try to get help learning AS3 and tough it out? My original game's design was made by me, but the actual code was mostly edited tutorials from here and someone else's work. I mean I can edit AS2 code to change it how I want if it's there but I never really got to the point where I could make my own... The tutorials I have tried to follow seem too complicated. Usually I am a great learner but this stuff just looks confusing.

I remember having the same feeling when as3 started to pop out. "I've just learned AS2, why I have to start from scratch?". The answer came after a while.
    First, if you need your game/wathever done fast, AS3 is not the way. Maybe you want to finish it before taking any decision. Think also about "your future", I mean: is this just a simple project and then stop, or you're gonna make something else... have any other project in mind?
    To be honest, you don't need to know the latest actionscript to make your own game but my personal advice is to self-learn AS3, basically because more complicated means more opportunities (just think that you can easily move to flex and apollo once you mastered as3, not to mention you'd learn a strong OOP design).
    In addition, if you're saying you've never really learned AS2, this could be an opportunity to fully learn a powerfull scripting language like AS3 (in my opinion is not good to copy/paste code sources if not for learning).
    There are a lot of great books and tutorials out there. The key, as you know, is patience: start from very simple tasks and then move on to more complicated ones. You'll see that what might seem complicated at first, it's very simple once you get on it.

Hope my 2 cents will help you

As Ziofu said - since you haven't 'mastered' AS2 yet, make the move now before developing bad habbits that will be much harder to change in AS3. I never programmed in AS2 (or Flash at all!) before a week ago when I started AS3. Coming from a programming background I found AS3 to be solid, very OOP-orientated, and quite rewarding once you get past the initial hurdles. Had I learnt AS2 I'm quite sure I would have tried to do what you could do in AS2 that simply has been scrapped for AS3 - for good reasons.

Personally I'm using the Flex 2.0 SDK. The advantages to this is that you build everything from the ground up and make no assumptions about what Flash is going to do for you. The tutorials online aren't that many, but they'll give you the basics to get started. It seems to be a new language in terms of available documentation, but that's changing quickly. It is definitely the future, and Flash 9 is now available on most PC's already (with easy upgrades from < 9). Make the move and you'll thank yourself later!

Thanks

Thanks alot guys. I'm going to try to start on AS3 right now. Are there any tutorials on how to make a game with AS3? So I can learn the basics? (preloader, menu control, movement, variables)