A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: changing target player

changing target player

I have 21 videos on a website, I have encoded using the flash video encoder in flash 8. Unfortunately I used the custom settings and selected the ON2VP6 codec - testing in another location I found they had audio but not image - due to not using sorenson codec and the machines having only flash player7. It was in a training setting where it was difficult to install the new player as I did not have admin access on the machines. I want to change the videos so they work on flashplayer 7. Is there any way to do this without going back and encoding all 21 again?

Thanks in advance

Nope, converting formats means re-encoding. You could re-encode from the Flash 8 .flv's to Flash 7 .flv's, but the quality is going to get worse. Best to start with the original movie files and encode for Flash 7.

ok - thanks for that. I have remade the .flv files from the original .mov - I have tested them on a machine where I installed flash player 7 and they are working fine - do I need to remake the .swf and .fla files for each video? If they are inserted as .flv files into html does it even require the .fla and .swf? It seems to be working fine without redoing all the .fla/.swf.