A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 3d Badge

The Don.

3d Badge

I'm trying to create a 3d badge(e.g: nVidia badge) with metallic texture that can be animated and possibly used in flash and video. My problem is that I have very limited 3d experience and I know where to start but I am not sure of the rest. I tried using swift 3d but it keeps crashing when I load the AI path into it, and it also seems to be primitive in terms of material and texture depth. I am really seeking a very realistic look for this simple object, but I am not sure which way to go. Are there any 3ds max tutes out there that could help me. Then i could use the trial of 3ds max R9 to attempt to create my badge. Thanks

Did u get that THING I sent ya!

How complex is the AI path? Also... which version of Swift3D were you using?

As it stands... it's very possible. But if you have outlines on the path, sometimes even 3ds max will balk at the extrusion process.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

The Don.
    I'm using swift3d V4. I have no idea why it does this as importing ai paths has worked fine in the past. I even tested it with a very simple rectangle shape and still no go.....?????

Did u get that THING I sent ya!

Save your *.ai as a Legacy *.ai file if you're using Adobe Illustrator CS1/CS2/CS3. Safe to use AI 8.0 as a starting point. The newer versions tack on a *.pdf preview and Swift3D just loathes that.

As do most any other 3D program. Legacy *.ai files if you want less headaches.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Student
    in 3dsmax:
    - import curves from illustrator
    - add bevel or extrude modifier (and play with the input values)
    - add a material
    - hit F9 to render

not so difficult