A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Redirect HTML link working in IE/Opera, but not Firefox/Mozilla

Redirect HTML link working in IE/Opera, but not Firefox/Mozilla

I'm creating an offline Flash based promotional material and I have come across more problems when dealing with Flash's "sandbox security" measures.

To create links that go online that work, I tried creating a local .HTML redirect page and linked to it instead of having Flash link directly online.

The code below is just to show you what I was doing.

on (release) {
    getURL("dotcom.html","_self");
    }

Dotcom.html is just a page that redirects to a website.

This method works in Internet Explorer and Opera, but not Firefox or Mozilla.

So I assume this is an issue with those browsers, but I'm at a loss at what to do other than create a stop-off local HTML page that displays a link for users to click. Which means when they click inside the flash piece they will have to click an HTML link immediately afterwards.

I suppose I could also create a local webpage that is simply an iframe and link to the website in that method.

Does anybody have any ideas how to resolve this issue?
    Last edited by pablum; 08-03-2007 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pablum
    I'm creating an offline Flash based promotional material and I have come across more problems when dealing with Flash's "sandbox security" measures.

To create links that go online that work, I tried creating a local .HTML redirect page and linked to it instead of having Flash link directly online.

The code below is just to show you what I was doing.

on (release) {
    getURL("dotcom.html","_self");
    }

Dotcom.html is just a page that redirects to a website.

This method works in Internet Explorer and Opera, but not Firefox or Mozilla.

So I assume this is an issue with those browsers, but I'm at a loss at what to do other than create a stop-off local HTML page that displays a link for users to click. Which means when they click inside the flash piece they will have to click an HTML link immediately afterwards.

I suppose I could also create a local webpage that is simply an iframe and link to the website in that method.

Does anybody have any ideas how to resolve this issue?
    Did you check the firewall settings on firefox? Have you gone into the manage how files are treated section under tools in firefox?

Sometimes allowing certain web content on your tool bar will allow pages to work correctly.

I've got it mostly figured out now.

I just changed the _self target in the actionscript code to _blank.

While this creates a new page window for the online content, it's not going to affect how well the project is recieved. It works and I'm satisfied as to the result.

I run Mozilla with all it's defaults and Firefox with most. There aren't any firewall changes. So I can't claim to know what the issue is there other than just another cross-browser compatibility quirk.