A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Page peel ads

Page peel ads

OK, my boss wants me to develop the functionality you see in page peel ads, like the software available here.

http://www.peelawayads.com/

I mentioned we can simply buy the software, but he wants to use this as a training exercise for me and thinks I should be able to build this myself in Flash.

SO....is this even possible? Is this effect created solely in Flash or, as I suspect, is there major coding involved besides what is created in Flash? The basic animation seems doable except for the reflections on the inside of the peeling page and the integration into the main web page.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

FK Rocks..!
    Hey,

I'll try to help you as much as i can, but to tell you the truth i really dont know how to make this. Actually we weeks back i got the task to adjust this peel away add properly, There was some problem is properly pacing the add.

So i worked on it. Unfortunately the buyer dint sent me the tutorial which came along with the pack.

All i know is that its all about Java script. There are only two flash file which just show the small peel and the big peel. You put your add file as a background .gif file and its all set.

I'll send you those files as a private message.

Cheers
    Waqas A.M. Siddiqui (Vicky)
    Graphics Designer

FK Rocks..!
    Just got an idea to attach it here... I'll send the password by PM

Enjoy
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Graphics Designer

Thanks for the files. Unfortunately, they leave me with more questions. Both SWF file appear blank. I would have assumed the page peel effect was in the Flash files? Thanks for the javascript. I don't know javascript, but it may prove helpful.

I'm wondering which aspects of this effect are created in Flash and which are created via javascripting?

I have successfully recreated the small corner peel as a Flash file. I can also build the large curl as a Flash file. But, how does rolling over the small bring up the big? Does the mouseover simply launch the second, large file? Is the whole thing a button with the large peel in the over state?

AND, how are the reflections of the content achieved on the curled edge? Again, I can probably duplicate that, but I'm sure it will be a cumbersome version of what's really happening in the commercial product.

Anyone else have some experience with this???

FK Rocks..!
    Actually, i have the same problem... I dont have knowledge of javascripting hence i cant understand it. If i were you, i have tried making a frame by frame animation of peel effect and inserted a static background image (Not like the commercial product)

The only risk is that when you place the peel add at the top right corner of page, it must consume the space of the small peel , but when mouse rollover event it may come up on the site page.

You can try it if you have the time, I'll also try to do this as a fun project this weekend if i find time...

Good luck.
    Graphics Designer

Could use some help on this as well.

I just came across this thread after a request for the peel effect too. Any additional suggestions?

Well, I've built the Flash animations of both the small and large page curl. They are not exactly like the commercial product, but they are very close. I published with animated alpha masks and a transparent window, so they look correct placed over other items/colors in a web page.

Now I think I may need to move to a javascript bboard for the rest.

Of course, the easy approach is to simply buy the software, but I'm not allowed to do that.

If there is a Flash-only solution to this, please let us know.

FK Rocks..!
    Quote Originally Posted by jheilman
    Well, I've built the Flash animations of both the small and large page curl. They are not exactly like the commercial product, but they are very close. I published with animated alpha masks and a transparent window, so they look correct placed over other items/colors in a web page.

Now I think I may need to move to a javascript bboard for the rest.

Of course, the easy approach is to simply buy the software, but I'm not allowed to do that.

If there is a Flash-only solution to this, please let us know.
    Can you send me those fla files, so that i may try it at weekend...? I might able to find a new way to complete it
    Graphics Designer

The file size exceeds the upload limits, so I'll have to wait and upload the whole thing to a server later. I'll PM you.

Finally back on this project after 7 months of being too busy to progress.

The main problem I'm having right now is changing the size of the rollover. When you first see the ad, the rollover is only the small corner peel. When you rollover it peels down and you can click on the larger ad. The problem is the rollover which controls the peel remains the small corner. So if your mouse moves off it, the ad rolls up. I need the rollover to increase in size when the ad does.

Any ideas?!?

FK Rocks..!
    ok. weclome back,

how about, u use two swf files, one that shows all the time in smaller size while the second one that is shown when rolled over to the first one?

is that possible? i m not gud in java.
    Graphics Designer

That's kind of what I have now, but when you move your mouse off the small corner file, you lose the big file too. People need to be able to click the larger file without it rolling back up.

From my research, it looks like the way most sites do this is via javascript. I found a couple free scripts, but haven't been able to make them function yet.

Please Respond and reply vky84!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vky84
    Just got an idea to attach it here... I'll send the password by PM

Enjoy
    Hey it would be very helpful if u can send me the password of the zip file as well (peel.zip). I am currently in need of this code.
    Thanks

vky84 can you send me the password for the peel.zip? I have been trying to get this working for a week now. I have a version that works but when it is edited I lose the reflection, I am trying to add multiple clicking points inside.

Thanks,

pswd

Could i get that pswd as well?

Thanks

jrbriones,

i ended up finding a tutorial somewhere else online. let me see if i can find it for you

Thanks man, i just started making my own :P
    for this one project the website is actually on flash so it wont be that much of a pain.
    for non-flash websites i imagine i could embed the swf and use css zIndex to set it to the highest lvl on the HTML. but i guess i will find out when i try it :P

yeah you can. good luck