A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Recording with Flash but not in mp3 format?

Recording with Flash but not in mp3 format?

Hi

I'm not new to Flash but I hardly have very little experience sound related issues, while planing a new application those 2 questions came up. I would love it if one of the experts here could answer:

* Is it possible to record audio from the client side with other format than mp3, if so then how?
    * Is it possible to record client side audio using flash without media server?

Thanks,
    LeoBeer

Red5 may be what you are looking for

Leo,

In order to stream or record you need some kind of Server component that can do this. Flash can currently utilize the Microphone() object to bring sound into Flash. Flash/Flex can then analyze the volume amplitude but that is about it. The only other thing that you can do is to pass the raw sound data to a server. Currently the best options for servers are FMS (Flash Media Server) or Red 5. FMS does exactly what you want. Red 5 will record an Audio FLV. You will need to use something like FFMpeg to convert that FLV into an MP3.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
    Curtis J. Morley

Do you know if there is a way to stream Sound objects or record them in some way. I want to overlay two sound objects playing through the speakers and have them recorded somewhere. It can be locally or on the server.
    Thanks,
    Brent